Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is Wooooooooooooooooow for the customer service for Lynskey. Thanks Don at Lynskey. :) A couple years back I bought a pro29 and was a little unhappy with the flex however I learned to appreciated the plushness assocted with that frame when I turned it into a singlespeed.

About 2 months ago I broke the frame :eekster: I was pretty upset because it had become my favorite bike for a while. I have to say I was scared because I heard about the trouble many of my friends had with other manufactures trying to get stuff warrenteed (some just told them to buy a new one). Not Lynskey, They had me send the frame back so they could inspect it.....now I am the proud owner of a 2010 Helix Pro20:thumbsup: :p :cool:

This thing is beautiful!!!!! They even allowed me to get the etched graphics and flames and the mill finish for a few extra bucks. This was not even available when I ordered the original Pro29 Sweeeeeeeet. Now.....this is why you spend a little extra for good frame. You pay for a warrentee. This will be a lifetime bike for me. I built it up yesterday but wont get to test until tomorrow morning.

This frame has so many inprovements from the original which is what a good frame builder does....they continually look to improve. The stays are much beefier and I am looking forward to seeing how the helix works. I will post soon with pictures.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Good to hear. I have only had a couple conversations with Lynskey since I purchased my frame through Speetgoat, they have been great to deal with and have really helped me out with questions.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
i too have nothing to say but good things about the chaps at Lynskey. I will only ever own bikes from those with top customer service and who can deliver

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
If I get a ti frame it will be lynskey, based not just on the quality but the consistent good comments on after sales and warrantee. I'd be interested to hear in detail how you think the changes in both models translate to the ride.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
baffling

It baffles me that Ti bikes break. Titanium has very high strength, very high elongation (i.e. will bend before fracture) and low sensitivity to cyclic (pun intended) stress. Plus the properties are all well tested and published and should result in accurate FEA. These are reasons why it makes an excellent spring. My guess is the welding is radically altering these properties and that Ti bikes break near a weld. Anyway, just thinking out loud.

I totally agree about buying from a good brand. My Yeti ASR developed a hairline crack in the seat tube and was replaced at no cost - they swapped my headset, serviced the bearings when re-attaching the rear triangle and everything. I'm waiting for their 29er to be available before I decide on another 29er frame.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Its no wonder that Litespeed (post Lynskey) appears to be on a steep decline and Lynskey (the company) has gone from non-existent to significant in both road and mountain bikes in only a few short years.

I feel very good about my choice going with Lynskey!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motivated said:
It baffles me that Ti bikes break. Titanium has very high strength, very high elongation (i.e. will bend before fracture) and low sensitivity to cyclic (pun intended) stress. Plus the properties are all well tested and published and should result in accurate FEA. These are reasons why it makes an excellent spring. My guess is the welding is radically altering these properties and that Ti bikes break near a weld. .
The break was in a rear drop out and not in a weld. I had one of the first models ever and I think they tried to make it as light and fancy as possible and did not put enough meat behind it. They have significantly changed them,

I did ride fire road and the bike is very very stiff compared to the old model. It reminds me of the quiring I had, I don't think it is fair to compare it with the 2009 and 2008 since they had made changes to them from my model. I will let you know what I think of the trails. I am very confident this one will last a very long time. (outlast me)

·
30-ton War Machine
793 Posts
a clover-leaf break by chance??? From what I have seen, that is the most common place a Lynskey "breaks".

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
edgerat said:
a clover-leaf break by chance??? From what I have seen, that is the most common place a Lynskey "breaks".
This was pre-cloverleaf. Picture that dropout with even less material (no material where the cloverleaf was. ) Now that area is solid

·
change is good
3,117 Posts
The paint chipped off my custom road seat tube and I covered it up with a Salsa clamp. I mentioned it to the Lynskey rep and they repeatedly asked me if I wanted the frame repainted free of charge. I figured if I accepted their offer I would put a cleat into the top tube of the repainted frame. Although it has a hidden paint chip, it is still a sweet ride. I'm in danger of becoming a roadie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts