Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have narrowed down my choice for a new ti custom 29er to a lynskey level 4 or eriksen, I just cant decide between the two any ideas i love both bikes but only have money for one or the other. any help would be appreciated I would like to hear from people who have owned them or know someone who has i personaly dont know anyone with either thanks

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Sounds like a popularity contest. Makes it easy to guess who's going to win it, Lynskey's just back to the game. Eriksen supposedly(and arguably) made the first 29"-specific bike ever.
Sorry, not personal experience even riding a 29"er in Ti here. I'm sorry for that to myself too.
Is BlackSheep not around anymore? There used to be daily threads on there of those wonderful creations. That would be my first pick, then some others, then Eriksen, for the personal touch over Lynskey as I sense there will be.

·
Registered
68 Posts
well as far as my experience goes ...

I wrenched in a bike shop that worked with Litespeed (Lindkey Brothers) in the mid to late 90s - we had them make 1 or 2 custom frames = long wait - not really good service - frame finish was a class below the Moots (Kent Eriksen) we where dealing with too

I had kent make me a 29er and a 26er last year = 1 month waiting time - extremly nice service - absolute superb frame finish

now I'll point you towards Kent + Katie Eriksen without a second thought

regards

Martin

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have a Lynskey

freakforti said:
well as far as my experience goes ...

I wrenched in a bike shop that worked with Litespeed (Lindkey Brothers) in the mid to late 90s - we had them make 1 or 2 custom frames = long wait - not really good service - frame finish was a class below the Moots (Kent Eriksen) we where dealing with too

I had kent make me a 29er and a 26er last year = 1 month waiting time - extremly nice service - absolute superb frame finish

now I'll point you towards Kent + Katie Eriksen without a second thought

regards

Martin
Not a custom though, just the normal Pro 29. It's a beautiful bike, but the Eriksen is a freaking work of art. The custom upcharge price w/ the Lynskey's seems somewhat crazy too. Personally for a custom I'd go Eriksen. I'm pretty normal sized, so when the Lynskey popped up on eBay I jumped on it. It's a sweet bike and has almost the same geometry as my Sultan so I'm happy.

RE: Blacksheep, my friend has a blacksheep and it's a beautiful bike, but the finish/craftmanship seems to be about on par w/ my Lynskey, and not as nice as the Eriksen's I've seen.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,024 Posts
I have a custom Lynskey road bike FWIW. Great finish, beautiful ride. For me fit was crucial and that concerned out weighed what other shops had to offer. Chattanooga is fairly close to where I live. They showed me Robin William's frame when I was down there.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Interesting, I've come to the same conclusion as you. At least as far as Ti custom hardtails are concerned. Half of me wants to do it, but then again, how critical is customizing? I'd say I'm of fairly average proportions so how different would a custom be from say a Lynskey House Blend? I've asked Lynskey that question on the phone and could not get a straight answer.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the input keep it coming. Iam 6 foot6 and 325lbs so a custom is pretty much the only way for me to go. Iam starting to lean toward the eriksen only because i cant justify the cost of the custom lynsky over the price of the house blend almost double it just doesnt make sense

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
joerazlifts said:
thanks for all the input keep it coming. Iam 6 foot6 and 325lbs so a custom is pretty much the only way for me to go. Iam starting to lean toward the eriksen only because i cant justify the cost of the custom lynsky over the price of the house blend almost double it just doesnt make sense
I see "your" point about custom. I also agree that Linskey's pricing is excessive. I asked about fitting the new type of Shimano press fitted bottom bracket. I was told it could be done for a $500 up-charge. Why? They still have to fit a bottom bracket. Linskey seem to have more work than they know what to do with at the moment. They seem to be making bikes for everyone so they can be nonchalant with their pricing.

Ronnie.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
joerazlifts said:
thanks for all the input keep it coming. Iam 6 foot6 and 325lbs .....
Who, your height and weight play a significant part in the decision? If you where a lightweight racer looking for a bike to compete with, Lynsky would be worth looking at. At your size I don't think Lynsky will build you a bike you will be satisfied with. Their dropout and stays are designed toward light weight regardless of tubing size/ gauge. To be honest, at 325lbs, Ti is not the best option but if you must go that route if look into folks that are accustom to building giant frames for big riders, have tandem tubing on hand and know how to use it. I'm not sure who those people are but I have seen Seven and DeSalvo bikes built for folks near your size. Ericson has a lot of history and will give you allot of personal service.
Have you talked to any of these people yet?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have talked with lynskey and i called eriksen and talked with one of the shop guys kent is out of town until july 8th so i will give him a call back. I will also try and contact the two that you mentioned I think i have ruled out lynskey due to the thread i read on here a few minutes ago about one of there frames flexing two much with 200 lbs rider i can only imagne what it would do with me on it. Thats the thing Iam not buying this just to say i have a custom ti i just want something i can ride with out worring about the frame etc as iam riding

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,024 Posts
Lynskey has experience building bikes for big guys. They can insert plates inside the down and seat tube perpendicular to the length of the tube. The flexy Lynskey you referred to was a off the rack frame. However, 325lbs is a lot of weight. I've been as high as 300lbs and would not like a custom hardtail built for me at that weight once I lost much weight. I have a Walt Works built for a 230lb rider and it doesn't flex. I understand the Karate Monkey is a burly bike. I know my Cross Check is. Ventana has built a reputation on building frames for big guys and aluminum is cheaper than titanium.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks doc for all your input but the more i look the less lynsky inpresses me i know they are great bikes but they can build the house blend for two grand and want to charge double for the same bike just custom size i cant see how it cost two grand more to build. so Iam going with a eriksen the more i see them the more i love them plus he will use a 2 inch down tube and one inch chainstays pretty tough to get any beefier than that. you said I would not get a custom ti at 300 lbs but iam not trying to lose weight just trying to stay in shape in the off season I play football so my weight has to be maintained at or around 310 to 325 plus iam a verry fit 325 and strong so i need the bike to be verry strong i have buckled three frames in the last six months iam not going to mention names because iam not on here to bash anyone. so with that said i would like to hear from the guys riding the eriksen how is the ride

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.