Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know that California was 15th in the nation in reported cases of Lyme disease in 2003? This disease is mainly transmitted by the western black-legged tick. This tick has been found in 56 out of 58 counties in this state, and ticks have tested positive for Lyme disease in 41 counties. Studies have shown an infection rate of 1-2% for adult ticks and 1-15% for nymphal ticks, although the infection rate of nymphs in Mendocino County may be as high as 41%. Other tick-borne diseases (TBD's) may be carried by this and other ticks, including babesiosis, ehrlichiosis, and bartonella.

Prevention strategies include avoiding brushing against grass, not sitting on logs or leaning against trees, wearing light-colored clothing and tucking pants into socks. Deet can be used on the skin, and clothing can be sprayed with permethrin.

Frequent tick checks are essential, especially in areas like creases of elbows and knees, hairline and groin. If you find an attached tick, proper removal maybe key to disease prevention. You should continue to check yourself for several days after exposure to tick-infested areas, since an engorged nymphal tick may be easier to detect. Grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible with pointed tweezers and pull straight out, or use specially designed tick tweezers. Save the tick for testing.

Fewer than 50% of those who develop Lyme disease get a bull's-eye rash; many develop a flu-like illness. Some may only present with psychiatric or neurological manifestations.

Lyme symptoms can involve cardiac, ophthalmologic, musculo-skeletal, gastrointestinal, and central nervous systems. Known as the "great imitator," Lyme can be misdiagnosed as ALS, MS, lupus, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, or even Alzhermer's and autism.

For more information, you may go to www.lymedisease.org or contact Marisa Battilana at [email protected].

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
Nasty illness

One of my co-workers was ill for quite a while and went through three doctors before his problem was diagosed as Lyme's Disease. It has caused him a serious lifestyle change...from very active with outdoor activities to always being extremely tired. Due to all of the different meds that he has run through, he has now been diagnosed with medically induced lupus with some other spin-off medical problems.

I have always been careful with ticks, but even more so now.

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
I talked with my doctor about this a few years ago, and he had mentioned a new vaccine that was available to people to prevent lime disease. I didn't get it, because I would have been the first in Kaiser - Napa, but has anyone had experience with it? Maybe we should be asking our Dr.'s about it...

-B

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Had lymes, extremely nasty but got the magic bullet penecillin (same stuff they treat anthax with) within a few days and it fixed me up after crappin water for 14 days. Its a nasty disease (my aunt has it and got conic arthitis, and my 2nd cousin lost his eyesight due to it), mine started within 2 days with intense migranes, the kind where you are happy a handgun is not within reach. I contracted it on the east coast bu here in CA it is around and so are the ticks (some are extremely small, like a freckle). Use deet spray or if its really bad womens hose in white works to keep them off you and hold more deet but the looks you will get from others will be a bit strange. Another nasty is West Nile which I got last year from the local estuary mozzy breeding grounds. It was mild flu for about 2 weeks loads of night sweats but nowhere near lymes, I stop every 30 minutes for a tick check.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Its not bad luck its very common on the east coast, the worst thing about it those ticks can be so small that the wind actually blows them on you on tick blooms. I got it visiting Montauk Point in NY, my Wife's from WesthamptionBeach and its very common ther too. What really freaked me out was my at the time 6 month old first born gal got it too, hospital visit for both of use during vacation was the result. Lymes is nasty but West Nile is simply a flu for healthy people.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well look at that.. . a map. Take a peek at your locale. I was surprised to see that the Atlanta area is not at higher risk. When I ride Bankets creek in the mornings there are always lots of deer. But I guess deer != nastyticks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Vaccine info from the CDC.

"As of February 25, 2002 the manufacturer announced that the LYMErix™ Lyme disease vaccine will no longer be commercially available. The existing recommendations apply to any vaccine currently in use."

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
zenorb said:
Well look at that.. . a map. Take a peek at your locale. I was surprised to see that the Atlanta area is not at higher risk. When I ride Bankets creek in the mornings there are always lots of deer. But I guess deer != nastyticks.
Hmmmm ... interesting how the one risk zone follows the CA border exactly!! Imagine that, nature sticking to political borders ....

Kn.

·
new shoulder
44 Posts
zenorb said:
Vaccine info from the CDC.

"As of February 25, 2002 the manufacturer announced that the LYMErix™ Lyme disease vaccine will no longer be commercially available. The existing recommendations apply to any vaccine currently in use."
bummer. I get the vaccine for my dog - both to protect the dog and to reduce the risk of my infection (along with proper tick control for the dog).

I know a guy who is living with Lyme - serious bummer and very nasty. Apparently the medical community is divided over the ability to elminate the infection once it has taken strong hold (i.e. if you don't treat it quickly).

Thanks to Slayer77 for the reminder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.