Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
Not sure I understand how that's supposed to be lower impact than a regular old bike or plain jogging. I guess maybe if you have inner ear/balance problems?

Plus it's got the whole looking goofy as hell thing going too.

I'd say lycra over baggys accessorized w/ the zebra print banana hammock...

·
Registered
555 Posts
bclagge said:
Hmmm... I don't think either one of those options will properly advertise how gay you are. These are more appropriate:

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Mens-Zebra-Lycra-Brief/dp/B0046A8MVY/ref=pd_sbs_a_9
Pretty much all MTB gear looks kind of fem. From helmets to gloves to camelbacks to high fashion bikes. It's pretty much on track with the speedo look. At least that's how many non-MTB people see it. Nothing wrong with it,though. It's all good!

Manly MTB gear is just jeans, Tshirt , work boots and a six pack of beer in a pink basket;) Oh,and a beverage holder on the bars.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sid Nitzerglobin said:
Not sure I understand how that's supposed to be lower impact than a regular old bike or plain jogging. I guess maybe if you have inner ear/balance problems?

Plus it's got the whole looking goofy as hell thing going too.

I'd say lycra over baggys accessorized w/ the zebra print banana hammock...
it takes your weight, and subtracts it by 20-30%... how do you not see how that makes it less impact on your knees?

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
Marko G said:
it takes your weight, and subtracts it by 20-30%... how do you not see how that makes it less impact on your knees?
Couldn't really see where there was any significant weight support from the video on that site, guess I wasn't paying attention/should have read more of the text. Wouldn't be the first time :D

I still think riding a properly fit bike would be lower impact. I don't have the best of knees myself and I can ride 200 miles a week on my road bike or 50 on the trails w/o any knee complaints, running a 10K will leave me hobbled for days.

I guess it's just a preference/balance thing.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
bigbeck said:
Pretty much all MTB gear looks kind of fem. From helmets to gloves to camelbacks to high fashion bikes. It's pretty much on track with the speedo look. At least that's how many non-MTB people see it. Nothing wrong with it,though. It's all good!

Manly MTB gear is just jeans, Tshirt , work boots and a six pack of beer in a pink basket;) Oh,and a beverage holder on the bars.
I disagree. It's just that most MTB looks kind of fem. Except for serious DH gear which looks kind of juvenile.

·
Registered
18 Posts
it depends on how sexy you feel in lycra. Even if you feel comfortable in lycra and use your bikes for trips around town, you might want to wear baggies unless you enjoy drawing attention to yourself. For longer rides or races where efficiency counts, lycra all the way. Might I suggest buying one of each since bike shorts tend to wear out and you would then be covered no matter what kind of riding you're doing that day.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,997 Posts
I wear lycra bibs under canvas cargo shorts. Lycra is comfortable, and the outer shorts are tough and have lots of pockets.

I keep my cargo shorts up with suspenders under my jersey to keep them from snagging on the saddle.

I don't much care what anyone else wears, and I wonder why anyone else would.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Cool! I didn't realize they made these things for adults, too:

A good chamois should help, regardless of whether said chamois is hidden beneath tighties or baggies.

Also consider that if your butt is getting sore from riding, a partner change may be the best solution.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
@dam said:
The advantage of baggies are toughness/durability and modest looks. Tight shorts are better everywhere else.
Yep, and on an mtb durability isn't just about them not wearing out after a season or two, it's about you not riding home with skin showing in the wrong places. Baggies seem to hold up better to crashes as well as snags from trees and bushes along the trail. I've had the unfortunate pleasure once of riding behind a guy for a while who had cut open his lycra shorts down the cheek and rear thigh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.