Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wasn't sure where to ask this... lots of track ends in the SS forum so I figured this is the best place to ask.

got disc brakes on the back of my karate monkey finaly and had the lovely experiance of the wheel shifting in the track ends while riding... I have hope QR's... after that i realy clamped em down hard but expect that it won't be the last time it happens...

I've read over and over that the solution to this (outside of bolt on hub) is XT QR's...
so the question... I have an older set of LX QR's (circa '95)... will these be just as good as the XT's... I'd assume just a weight penalty?

thanks guys
mark

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Which side is slipping in which direction? Do you have a tensioner?

I use a Surly Tuggnut with generic Novatec skewers (not as much clamping force as Shimano's) and I have never had slippage problems.

But, if it is the disc side slipping back this won't help. I think the disc mounts on my Inbred transfer the forces in a different direction

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you or are you using a tugnut or other chain tensioner ? I'm using the surly tugnut which includes the QR adapter, so far no slips with mavic or dt swiss QR's.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
you could always buy the QR skewers that use an allen wrench, I have an old Control tech ti on my bike.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry i failed to mention i'm not running SS... do have the old 5mm monkey nuts in there which prob doesn't help for slipping... (now that i think about it using the newer monkey nuts or none at all would prob get more clamp force down)

it slipped on the brake side... it only happend the once during the ride (1st outing with disc on rear)... i really torqued down the QR after that and no more problems but I think i'll try the LX and see what happens...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts