Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even with DCG mod I'm using a lot of air to prevent it from bottoming out (180 pounds RTR and use 170 psi)
Have any of you tried the small volume can??
Thanks guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,657 Posts
bottom

Is the shock bottoming hard? Like Bang, or are you just getting full travel? Full travel a few times a ride is fine, Banging is not good. I get full travel many times per ride, and I re-set the O-ring or zip tie to make sure I am not guessing, but I never hear or feel a hard bonk or metal to metal sound.

Are you sure there is nothing else hitting, if your pump is close to accurate and you are only running 10 psi under body weight you should be fine.

DT
 

·
Oji
Joined
·
130 Posts
Timely thread

I just went for my first ride on my new DW Spot, and am questioning my shock pressure and sag. I've read about the 17 mm standard sag. I'm about 180 lbs RTR, and got 20 mm sag when I pumped the HV RP23 to 130 psi. I decided to leave it there to see how much travel would be used on a local trail that includes climbs, g-outs, and rock gardens. Climbing traction over rocks and roots was excellent and bump compliance great. I kept track of the O-ring, and it ended the ride at the bottom of the shaft, but not pushed off, and I never heard or felt metal-on-metal. I figure the travel is there to be used, probably need a bit less sag for some trails compared with the one I rode, but damn, this was a great ride.

Am I missing something by not firming up the rear shock a bit more?

Cliff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
BBW said:
Even with DCG mod I'm using a lot of air to prevent it from bottoming out (180 pounds RTR and use 170 psi)
With all of the problems you've had with setting sag and bottoming out maybe you should consider sending the shock to push to have it tuned.

My RTR weight is about 145-150 and I run 108-110psi and 3 clicks of rebound damping. My shock is pushed and shimmed 135x18x1.2. I get full travel often but don't bottom hard on drops and big hits.

The DW is really impressive. I can get full travel in low speed chunk:
View attachment 499730

And then hit about a 3' to flat drop with the same exact shock setup and not BO if I land smooth:
View attachment 499731
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turnerbikes said:
Is the shock bottoming hard? Like Bang, or are you just getting full travel? Full travel a few times a ride is fine, Banging is not good. I get full travel many times per ride, and I re-set the O-ring or zip tie to make sure I am not guessing, but I never hear or feel a hard bonk or metal to metal sound.

Are you sure there is nothing else hitting, if your pump is close to accurate and you are only running 10 psi under body weight you should be fine.

DT
Never anything harsh. I just look down after the ride and if I hit a 1 foot drop I use full travel and sometimes I use full travel with no jumping at all. I just think I use full travel all the time in all situations and I think I have felt the suspension stopping at the end of its travel but without feeling it harsh or without any noise
maybe I'm just worried of using all the travel in silly trail features?

Thanks DT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LncNuvue said:
With all of the problems you've had with setting sag and bottoming out maybe you should consider sending the shock to push to have it tuned.

And then hit about a 3' to flat drop with the same exact shock setup and not BO if I land smooth:
View attachment 499731
I'm considering the Push thing but I would have to send the Vanilla fork first (it's horrible its behavior:nono: )
I'm sure I would bottom out on that drop... thats why the "big hit" thing from Push looks tempting;) (they put some bumper inside to prevent any hard bottom out)

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
shim vs. bumper

BBW said:
I'm considering the Push thing but I would have to send the Vanilla fork first (it's horrible its behavior:nono: )
I'm sure I would bottom out on that drop... thats why the "big hit" thing from Push looks tempting;) (they put some bumper inside to prevent any hard bottom out)

Thanks!
I have 2 shocks, one with my shim and 1 PUSHed with the bumper. The bumper does a real good job of controlling BO. The bumper does take up some volume so it does to an extent do what my shim does in the volume department. At first I had to get used to the bumper kicking in agressively at the end of the stroke.
On my shimmed shock, I tried a bigger shim once, 138x25x1.2 and that produced a similar end of stroke as the bumper does. Problem was it also started getting harsh in the mid stroke for me. When I ride my shimmed shock I use a shim cut to 138x19.5x1.2 and it works well for me.

How big of a shim have you run?

I have tried the smaller air sleeve set up, I did not like it. It ramps up real hard in the last 1/3 of travel, felt too punchy mid stroke on. But that is me. The smaller sleeve works for the bigger riders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
copied and pasted from another thread where someone asked basically the same question:

I engineered the leverage ratio for the 5 Spot to work with any of the available can options, or a coil spring. Let's face it,Turner fans love to tweak their bikes. I personally ride my Spot for a lot of XC, and there are not many drops or big hits on my daily ride, so I use the XV air can with no volume spacers. On more aggressive trails I run the small air can or a DHX RC4 with BV chamber 50% closed and 180 psi in the chamber. It's all about preference, and the Spot was designed to accommodate a wide variety of preferences.

Hope this helps,

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,265 Posts
twangcat said:
I just went for my first ride on my new DW Spot, and am questioning my shock pressure and sag. I've read about the 17 mm standard sag. I'm about 180 lbs RTR, and got 20 mm sag when I pumped the HV RP23 to 130 psi. I decided to leave it there to see how much travel would be used on a local trail that includes climbs, g-outs, and rock gardens. Climbing traction over rocks and roots was excellent and bump compliance great. I kept track of the O-ring, and it ended the ride at the bottom of the shaft, but not pushed off, and I never heard or felt metal-on-metal. I figure the travel is there to be used, probably need a bit less sag for some trails compared with the one I rode, but damn, this was a great ride.

Am I missing something by not firming up the rear shock a bit more?

Cliff
If you don't feel a hard bottom out, then I don't see a reason to firm up the air spring. Also, you will notice that after around mile 200 or so (depending on how rough your trails are) that your bushings are going to start to free up and that climbing traction and bump absorption is going to get even better! Have fun~

Dave
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top