Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came in the mail this afternoon. Looking forward to throwing it on the bike in the next few days. Think the straight 31.8 across is going to be nice. Feels good in the hands. May cloth tape the flats then some standard cork for the rest. Not sure yet. It's pretty sweet though.

Attachments

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some more pictures. Included some "real world" examples for those who have never used dirt drops with the Luxy on top of my 44cm wide road bar on the road bike and then on top of my fun mtb which has a Truvative Team Riser bar which is about 650mm wide. I also put my On-One-Midge on top of the Luxy to show the differences there.

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
That bar definitely has a lot more drop flare than the Midge, thats for sure. Seems a lot more like the woodchipper by comparison. I had originally looked at the pics of the Luxy and wondered how a bar lay-over would compare with the Midge so thanks for the pictures that helps.

-Jeff

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
N10S said:
That bar definitely has a lot more drop flare than the Midge, thats for sure. Seems a lot more like the woodchipper by comparison. I had originally looked at the pics of the Luxy and wondered how a bar lay-over would compare with the Midge so thanks for the pictures that helps.

-Jeff
It's kinda like the Mudge anD Woodchipper had a drunken evening then this happened....but I mean that in a good way ;).

It is a pretty sweet bar. Tough to decide which I like better.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
N10S said:
Looks like a cool bar...just wish they weren't just 31.8mm only!
It does make finding a stem with a chunk of rise tough. And it means buying more stuff. But if you can swing it, it's justified. I dig how it feels in my hand on the tops and the extra stiffness is nice too.

249 Posts
juansevo said:
It does make finding a stem with a chunk of rise tough.
I'm in the same situation. With the salsa stems in recall, choices for high angle stems(+35 degrees) are limited.

I've found the Bontrager, Origin 8, Dimension, and Kalloy so far. Then of course the Voodoo Nakisi which runs at around $90 on-line.

These lengths range from 70 to 105mm.

·
getting back into it
107 Posts
Moving from Woodchipper to Jones Loop H-bar ...

The stem issue is a problem. The alternative is to get a fork with a tall steerer tube, and install it uncut, and use spacers between the headset and the stem. I've got a Woodchipper and a stem with rise plus an uncut steerer, but I'm looking for a more upright position as I have a bum elbow and can't put much weight on the bars. I'm going to a Jones Loop H-bar in Aluminum. I think I'll get similar sweep and a more upright position. Lots of hand postions. And I'll have a place to mount lights, gps, etc :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,543 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Wow...that bar has some serious flare. That last picture on your review link really shows the width of that bar too, which makes my midge look narrow by comparison. I appreciate the write up and pics this really helps me understand this bar design a bit better.

JR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.