Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone wanting max rubber in the rear of a Lux 3, 2.4" is it. Just mounted up a 2.6 Forekaster on the stock blanchard i25 rim which measures out to 2.4". No rub with normal pressure while my wife was riding, but when I had it in the stand at 25-30psi it did rub. Unfortunately the factory tape job was inadequate. Put a 2.6 nobby nic up front on a blanchard i28 (taken off my release) and now it's got tons of grip. My wife doesn't hit corners hard enough for squirm to be an issue with this setup. Shimano style freehub in the rear (nx cassette) otherwise I'd have put a wider blanchard on the rear as well but that one has an xd.

Pretty decent bike for the discounted price, though dropper post needs external cable routing(went with pnw). Came with a long stem (70mm) but I had a 50mm laying around. Grips and pedals got swapped out as well. If it gets ridden enough (this Lux is a backup to my wife's Kona Hei Hei Trail DL) I see a 130mm fork upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for the post. Wife had 2014 Diamondback Lux Sport, after almost 2 years on the bike, we decide to move to 2017 Raleigh Tokul 3 (was able to score one directly on the Raleigh website). Unfortunately, she quickly found out that 27.5+ was not for her. Caused me great deal of pain but decided to sell the Tokul and go back to a leftover ... 2017 Diamondback Lux Sport. She is happy again! So far, the only upgrade done to date was a shorter (45mm) stem.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Since this is one of the few threads on this bike I'll chime in with some info on my wife's 2016 Lux Sport which I bought a few years ago and recently upgraded.

-The included bars were ridiculously narrow (600mm)
-Cranks were listed (and stamped!) 170mm but measured 175. Far too long on a size small bike designed for someone her height.
-those DB branded pedals (same ones came on my son's Sync'r) are junk.
-XCR fork is functionally tolerable but very, very heavy.

Upgrades:

1x11 with sunrace 11-46 cassette, 165mm NX cranks (off another bike), SLX shifter/derailleur. Getting a good chainline required 2mm spacers for the chainring.

Rockbros pedals.

Wake 45mm stem and 720mm Bars.

Sensus light grips

Brand x Dropper.

Manitou Machette comp fork with reshimed ABS damper.

Anyway, more than capable for the kind of riding she does, but as usual buying a higher speced bike upfront might have been a better idea, but she didn't want me to buy an "expensive" bike for her.

At this point it's about $1000 after upgrades (a few of those original parts have migrated to our kids' bikes)

If she starts riding a bit more I might go for a tubeless conversion.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Sounds like your wife's bike same spec'd different then mine. My wife's bike came with a decent handlebar ~760mm, sram 1x11, and 170mm cranks. She's been enjoying it, and so far hasn't even wanted to upgrade the fork. She noticed a big improvement with the tire upgrade.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, the Lux sport was the mid level spec. Equivalent to the current Lux 2. If I was buying her a bike now (not in 2016) I would have gone with the Lux 3 simply because of the tapered HT and Rear thru axle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.