Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having upgraded my Wilma I found that I wished for my old 18 degree lens so badly... so I just thought - why not give it a try?
The new XPGs are much smaller than the old P4s, but anyway, I installed the old 18° lens and went to my bathroom... which is the official place to run such experiments ;-)
Here is the result:

Floor Tile Flooring Pattern Black

What the photo doesn't really capture is that the center has a quite regular rectangular shape, also, in one corner one led protrudes, making it a bit oblong.

Line Pattern Grey Rectangle Symmetry

There are also some rainbow artifacts outside the halo:

Floor Flooring Tile Wall Tile flooring

Here:

Floor Flooring Line Light Carmine

As a matter of fact, the result is much better than what I expected, so I will go out tonight and see what it looks like outside. I cannot judge the halo brightness based on "bathroom" tests alone. I'm afraid it's not bright enough.... we'll see.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your the first to comment on upgrading their Wilma that I've seen here.

Any before/after PIC's?

Your overall impression?

Make take on your comment about wanting the the 18 degree lens indicates the XPG is spotty. How bad? How do you use yours? Single light (bar or helmet) or dual (bar and helmet)?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the original 15 degree lens for the XPG:

Atmosphere Pattern Monochrome Grey Black-and-white

There is an ugly artifact outside the halo:

Light Grey Space Rectangle Square

Actually, comparing with the 18 degree hack this has a better peripheral illumination!
So don't bother with your old lens, it's not worth it.

The beam is surprisingly similar to the Tesla beam, but with a larger hotspot and a smaller halo. Yes, the cut is quite sharp actually.

Overall impression: the Wilma XPG makes a superb helmet light. But no good for the handlebar (better if you have an additional helmet light, but still not optimal).
So wait with the purchase until Lupine releases a wider option if you intend to use it on your handlebar. Get it right away if you want it for the helmet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't have my Cree upgrade yet, but I did just get the new 1100 lumen Wilma X Pro set. I can say you are right on the money with your review. I like the light but it is a helmet/headlamp only without some wider optics like an 18-20° lens for me anyway.

·
SS or Die
354 Posts
I kinda like my new Wilma on the bars, its way better than my old Ayups anyway.

I use a HID Technologies Lumen8r Quad (1000lms) on my helmet with an 8deg lense and its perfect for looking long into the distance on fast runs. The Wilma's 15deg lense seems fitting for the bar when complimented with the Lumen8r as it fills more than enough light infront of the bike.

1100 lumens is an aweful lot of light when thrown at 15 deg especially when most have 10deg or more on their head looking where the bar light isnt.

When I think my lights arent good I remind myself what I used to use and laugh;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-Muz R- said:
I use a HID Technologies Lumen8r Quad (1000lms) on my helmet with an 8deg lense and its perfect for looking long into the distance on fast runs. The Wilma's 15deg lense seems fitting for the bar when complimented with the Lumen8r as it fills more than enough light infront of the bike.
Can you compare the Lumen8r with the Wilma in terms of light output? Eg. throw, spill, light color etc. I'm simply curious.

·
SS or Die
354 Posts
radirpok said:
Can you compare the Lumen8r with the Wilma in terms of light output? Eg. throw, spill, light color etc. I'm simply curious.
To be honest they are very similar, the Wilma is slightly brighter so its throw is similar to the 1000lm Lumen8r. The Wilma looks cleaner and slightly whiter but it uses a 15deg lense compared to the Lume8r's 8deg.

Maybe if I put my 16deg optic in the Lumen8r it would be more comparable. In a nutshell the Lupine is clean, smooth and white, the Lume8r on the other hand is ever so slightly rougher around the edges but it could be the 8 deg spot lense, Im not sure. Dont forget that the Lumen8r is only using the XRE leds too.

In terms of retail pricing the Lupine is double the price of the Lumen8r so when you look at it that way the HID Lumen8r is very impressive for the price considering its older emitters.

·
Registered
611 Posts
radirpok said:
Overall impression: the Wilma XPG makes a superb helmet light. But no good for the handlebar (better if you have an additional helmet light, but still not optimal).
So wait with the purchase until Lupine releases a wider option if you intend to use it on your handlebar. Get it right away if you want it for the helmet.
Would you say that an older 830L/920L Wilma with the 18 degree lens makes a better handlebar light? Especially if combined with a new 1100L 15 degree Wilma on the helmet?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The 18° lens on my 830l is great/better for the bars than my new Wilma X Pro 1100l. Now if they can get the same beam pattern with the not yet released lens for the new Cree's then it will be awesome!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.