Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by my new Lupine Wilma!

Wow! It's hard to believe that the Wilma with the XPG upgrade is brighter than my 'stock' Betty.

This is both exciting and depressing at the same time...

I'm lugging around the big water bottle battery with the Betty, bigger/heavier light head, 7 leds vs. 4 leds... and no more output to show for it.

Do I sell the Betty and get a second Wilma... or upgrade the Betty and go for mongo light output?

Personally, I don't think I need more light than what the Wilma give... but on the other hand, it's hard to resist the opportunity to go with the full nuclear (XPG) option for the Betty.

Decisions, decisions.

P.S. SHOUT OUT to GeoMan... :thumbsup:

he set me up with the Wilma (1) Gave me a great price (2) Customized the kit for me, and (3) Shipped it out super fast!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Betty (even after the upgrade) is a definite spot beam, even spottier than the Wilma, so unless you need visibility in the 200+ yard range it's a no go.
However it is possible that in the near future (read: spring/summer) Lupine will release a wide beam lens for the Betty and/or Wilma, since it has been requested by many users on their forum. Now THAT could be a killer setup... Betty XPG on the bars (brighter than the NR 1200L, perhaps with a similar beam pattern?) and Wilma XPG on the helmet. Almost 3000 REAL lumens... an overkill for 99% of the time ;-)

ps. The Betty has never produced 1400 or 1500 lumens in reality (especially the older versions are noticeably dimmer), so it is a good observation that the new Wilma is brighter than the old Betty... 1400 marketing lumens vs 1100 real lumens :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good Point!

I'd love it if Lupine would offer a new lens for the Betty with 3 of the optics configured for medium flood and the other 4 left as spot...

I think this set up would be perfect and I'd go with it in a second (along with the XPG upgrade).

As a matter of fact, they should offer this as a no cost option when upgrading...

i.e. you could order Upgrade Kit "A" with standard lens, or Upgrade Kit "B" with flood/spot combo lens as described above

Sign me up!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wilma ext-PCS (15W) upgrade first impressions

Just installed the upgrade to my Wilma with ext-PCS (15W). Here are the first impressions (real test tonight):
It is easy to install the board the other way around it was meant to be - no problem, it didn't turn on so I changed the orientation and it worked.
I couldn't find the second rubber sealment that is supposed to be removed from the cap - mine seems to fit alright, so I guess it wasn't there in the first place.

Brightness: visible improvement (though I don't have a second Wilma to compare it to). Compared to my Tesla, the center spot is both significantly brighter and wider. However the halo is half of the Tesla. Which is not a welcome "improvement" over the previous 18 degree lens.

PLEASE LUPINE, I"M BEGGING YOU, DO THE 18° LENS, I'll pay whatever it takes to get that wonderful pool of light back!

Surprise: the color doesn't seem to have changed, it is not yellower. Compared to the Tesla, it is definitely colder. Which is OK, it's just that I was expecting a different color based on the reviews of the 17W board.

Another welcome surprise is the cleanness of the lens, gone are the annoying artifacts in the beam pattern that I had with both lens (I think not all Wilmas had it):
Darkness Slope Camera accessory Geological phenomenon Cameras & optics

(picture taken from this thread: http://www.lupine.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?lang=en&f=31&t=2558)
Now it is a very-very clean pattern, absolutely perfect for helmet mounting, but I'm afraid a bit weak in the handlebar department.
I'll see what it can do in the wild...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dave in Driggs said:
Can you use the 18 degree Wilma lens with the new 1100 upgrade for the 830 Lumen Wilma?
No.
Which is a pity, real pity.
Because I had my first ride today, and all I can say is: wow. I mean, wow. I mean, holy sh*t!
The throw of the beam is simply amazing, the question is not whether you can outride the light, but rather if you can look that far... the beam effortlessly overthrows pretty much any light I've seen so far. It is also not like the Tesla's "peep-through-the hole" throw, but rather "turn-on-your-car's-headlights" throw, that's what I meant by "effortlessly".
Downside is, it is pretty much for the helmet. You can ride with it on the handlebar of course, but you definitely need a helmet light to complement it, and even then, in some situations (like on slow technical climbs) you will feel uncomfortable.

There are small artifacts in the beam pattern, and the halo cut is quite sharp, but the thing is, on the helmet you don't really notice these. The color is neutral - just like it was - once you get outside the streetlights' yellow glow ;-)

Now what the hell will Betty owners do with their lights after the upgrade? Answer's easy: they will put them on their motorbikes, hahaha....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.