Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready for the winter season and anxiously wait for francois' light shootout. I already have a Diablo and Maxx from Exposure and love the combination. I agree with everyone that stand alone, a helmet light is preferred. For me, the Diablo at medium setting is way better than the Maxx on high as stand a lone light.

So I'm thinking of passing the Diablo to my wife and getting more lumens on the helmet. Everyone mentions the Betty is a great bar light. Would it be just as great as a helmet light? I haven't had a wired setup so I'm guessing the battery would be thrown in backpack opposed to mounting. Also which angle would be best: 16,22,26?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Why don't you run the Maxx on the handlebars (that's the super bright one, right)? Run the Diablo on the helmet. That would have to be a super solid setup.

There are those that do run a Betty on the helmet - you can do that no problem since it's not that heavy but the battery has to be in a backpack or pocket. They do have a long cord.

J.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Diablo/Maxx combo is great but(I must have bad night vision) I feel I need more light to blaze the trails like I do during daylight. I'm still going to keep the Maxx on the bars...just want more output on the helmet.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well, isn't the Maxx is supposed to be 1800 lumens and the Diablo is supposed to be 900 or 975 lumens depending on the model? That isn't enough light? If those were Lupine Lumens, that would be a ton of light.

J.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm the same with my night vision phidailo. Probably why i'm always recommending the high lumens, and big battery capasity to others for long run times. I usually would recommend a more narrow beam degree for your helmet,but the shear output from the 26degree/2600 lumen Betty will give you all the light and punch available. Between the Maxx and the Betty you will have all the light one could use without sunglasses.LOL. What ever your choice,good luck!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maxx is 1200 lumens...you're thinking of the Six Pack at 1900. And Diablo is 900 lumens.

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure everyone is wondering what that 3rd picture is from francois' post. Think it's the Betty?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Then you're riding with what I ride with - 2100 to 2200 lumens. That's still a lot of light. I have no issues running <30mph with much light.

Seriously, that's not enough (oh, never mind - there is no such thing as "enough").

J.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Maxx is 1200 lumens...you're thinking of the Six Pack at 1900. And Diablo is 900 lumens.

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure everyone is wondering what that 3rd picture is from francois' post. Think it's the Betty?
Yes,, i was thinking of the six pack:p, oh well, i usually would recomend the brighter light on the bars to help cast some shadows to help you see dips etc.You would need to carry your battery in your camelback in this application.The good thing with the Betty is it's versatility, helmet,or bars,and bright as the sun.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I would use the brightest in the bars to give you shadows (depth perception).... having a too powerful light in the helmet will wash out the trail features IMO. The 26 degree will minimize the effect and the tunnel from a lets say 15 degree beam but I'm sure you will be using the Betty at 60% most of the times (maybe even at 40%)

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm using Betty on helmet and it works great! It's the last year's model with 26 degree XM-L upgrade. I also have a Piko, but I prefer to have the more powerful light on helmet because then it's always directed where I need it. However, as Betty lamphead is a bit heavier than Piko, your helmet needs to fit you well. If you have Betty mounted on front of your helmet and the helmet is loose on your head, you probably notice the weight as it is pushing the helmet towards your forehead/eyes. I use a Giro Xar that fits my head quite well and is not loose, so I don't have any problems. I have a 7.5Ah battery in my Camelbak with an extension cord. It all works very well, but I do use a "loop" made of zip tie on back of my helmet to guide the cord and keep it away,

I have also tested all the different angles with Betty (16, 22, and now 26). If you are unsure what to get, then I would advice the 22 degree version. It's the best compromise. 16 degree is good for high speed riding where you need maximum throw. But on slower MTB trails in woods it is quite bad because the beam is way too tight and has a tendency to blind you if you direct it to ground close to you. 22 degree is good for almost every use. Personally I like the 26 degree version most, but I think it will divide opinions... The perceived brightness is reduced because a bigger area is lit. And the throw is reduced. But the positive thing is that it lights up everything in front of you. It's as close to riding at day time as it can get. You are not riding in a narrow "light tunnel" anymore or following "a narrow light spot". Instead, everything in front and around you is lit up. You see a lot more than just the trail itself that you are riding and you can spot more lines. The effect is most impressive in pitch dark.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yellow is good,....
some like it, some don't, ...
if you have bad night vision, and or tons of light,...
clear glasses do about 8-9% less,
good yellow shooting glasses, 14-16% less,
so , if you got light to spare, give it a shot ,
it's my secrete, ...
of course, some on a Ducati, race bike, like the yellow HID,
with those top notch Tag Heuer glasses,....
for the real bad night vision, those are more efficient, and help correct the vision for night,...
most have it, but don't know it, severe stuff, gets to lasik. myopia ,
now for the helmet, the washed out look, is unfortunate, due the angle .
back to the yellow, it's actually the green part, most of the cone sensitive part , is the green,
but people don't like the green tint .
so lower kelvin, and higher CRI, gives you better quality light.
but everybody is into lumens right now, so it looks bright, but not quality.

let me know how it goes, do need feedback !
and maybe a tester or two, with Betty's,...
always looking to improve some stuff.
cheers, Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.