Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fat On A Bike
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So I am nearly at the decision point. I am debating between the new Betty with either the 22 degree or the 26 degree lens.Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, whether to get it with the larger capacity battery or the smaller one.

Thanks,
Ofir

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am going with the 26 degree and bigger battery. I like the spread on the 36 and the 2600 lumen light will require the bigger battery for the longer run time.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I would go with the 26 degree 2600 lumen all the way, and the extra capasity battery. The extra lumens from the 7 XML's will more than make up the wider spread of light over the 22 degree 2300 lumen version. And unless your never going on long night rides, the extra capasity battery is a must. It will keep you lit up on long rides even after a few years have gone by when lipo battery's loose some of their capasity.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree with the others on the 26 degree lens, however, not on the battery capacity.

I have the 1850 lumen version of the Betty, and in 99% of the cases I use it set to 22W (instead of the 24W) and on the 55% setting. This is enough light for me, and actually the difference between this and the full setting is not that huge.

What it means is that the runtime doubles, so even if your battery can run for only 2.5 hours on the max setting, that will be good for 5 hours on 55%. Actually I just checked and the Betty 7 is good for appr. 3 hours on max, so for me that is a runtime of 6 hours effectively. If that's sufficient for you then no need to go for the larger one.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Radirpok,,, where did you see three hour run times on the 2600 lumen Betty7, as Gretna still doesn't have run times listed yet on the new Betty/Wilma's?? My 1850 lumen Betty2 only gets 2:45 on a brand new battery. Would have to guess that the 7x XML Betty would be closer to two hour run times on the 7.5Ah battery, and for me that wouldn't be enough.:D All though i agree with you that running your light at 55% most of the time is enough light to use,,,,, if your paying for 2600 lumens, you may as well use them or save some $$$ and get the 1500 lumen Wilma. Cheers!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'm with Radirpok... check the runtimes before making your decision because 55% and even 40% cut it with that much power ;-)
I run my 1850 at 55% most times with not much of a perceived difference with 100%

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
26 degrees. Agree that you don't need a big battery unless you're doing something special. You do not need to nor want to run these lights at full power most of the ride. 1000 lumens is enough for the meat and potatoes climbing.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Lupine site

Radirpok,,, where did you see three hour run times on the 2600 lumen Betty7, as Gretna still doesn't have run times listed yet on the new Betty/Wilma's?? My 1850 lumen Betty2 only gets 2:45 on a brand new battery. Would have to guess that the 7x XML Betty would be closer to two hour run times on the 7.5Ah battery, and for me that wouldn't be enough.:D All though i agree with you that running your light at 55% most of the time is enough light to use,,,,, if your paying for 2600 lumens, you may as well use them or save some $$$ and get the 1500 lumen Wilma. Cheers!!!:thumbsup:
Lupine's site shows 3:40 min For run time on Betty 12 at full power. No other runtimes on smaller batteries

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Thanx Mai, i see it now. The Betty12 has more than enough battery for long rides. A big drop in battery capasity though in the Smart Core series as the next battery drops to 5 and change Ah's. That would not be enough battery for the new Betty.Cheers!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you look at the Lupine video on MTBR they show a brief glimps of the 7.5 amp battery. I think they haven't updated the web site

·
Registered
523 Posts
I must be blind Mai, i see the 2.5Ah on the stem, the 5.6Ah on the top tube and what i believe to be the 11.2Ah on the down tube. Where is the 7.5Ah Smart Core?
I aM the one seeing things. I mistook the 7.2volt for amp. My mistake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.