Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) grass roots style 100 miler in michigan. this will be the second annual race of many i hope. this race is held in the northern region of michigan's lower penninsula and was a huge success in the first year. the organizer really outs forth some huge efforts to make this an extremely fun event.
check out the site www.kisscross.com and look about. you will see some of the local 'cross races he has done. wicked fun.
near the bottom of the page is a link to the lumberjack website. please note that it is not up as of today but should be very soon... i guess they are figuring out the registration and sponsorship.

the race format was four 25 mile loops of singletrack.pretty darn cool region in which to ride as well.

when the site is ready try
www.lumberjack100.com

please be patient...the site will be up fairly soon

·
Big "T"
369 Posts
Last year was killer. The winner's trophies were lazer etched axes! Dispite locals swearing that no one would break 2 hours per lap, the winning time was 7.5 hours. The race also serves as the Michigan Single Speed Championships!

The course is all fast rolling singletrack through national forest. It intersects the North Country Scenic Trail. The event is well run by people who mountain bike for the love of it, not to make a buck.

The after party last year featured tons of schwag (racers got customized pint glasses) and there were two complimentary half barrels of Founders Ale for all to enjoy. In addition to that, the boys from the Bells Beer team brought a pony from their Brewery too!

www.kisscross.com
www.foundersales.com
www.algerracing.org

Mens '05' geared Winner Scott Quiring (Quiring Cycles)

Men's '05' Single Speed Champ, Dan Jansen (founders ales) w/trophy

Women's '05' geared Winner Danielle Musto (slingshot bikes)

Women's '05' Single Speed Champ, Kim Lucks w/trophy

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the date is june 17.should be great. pretty much all i have talked about since the announcement.....

·
Registered
744 Posts
I noticed in 2005 the fastest womens' time was by single speeder Kim Luks (8:53) and not geared Danielle Musto (9:09). Of those two who was actually awarded the prize money for first woman? I am hoping Kim. Does anyone know? And then I see the third fastest women was Jen Conie (11:06) also on a single speed bike. Did she get the third place prizes?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raymo853 said:
I noticed in 2005 the fastest womens' time was by single speeder Kim Luks (8:53) and not geared Danielle Musto (9:09). Of those two who was actually awarded the prize money for first woman? I am hoping Kim. Does anyone know? And then I see the third fastest women was Jen Conie (11:06) also on a single speed bike. Did she get the third place prizes?
email rick for accurate answers to those questions. he has a link on the home page. he is pretty busy but he should answer.some other guys like joe jitsu may also know. scottytheoneandonly may also know.

are you racing the lumberjack?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I may do the Lumberjack since I want to do a bunch of 100 milers this year. I will be physically fit at that time barring injury, but may not be able to go for other reasons. I plan on doing the Wilderness 101, the Endurance 100 and the Shenandoah 100 and want to do one more, either the Lumberjack or Mohican. I would rather not go to a race that has previously refused to classify a faster single speeder as the overall winner just because they were on a single speed bike. I won’t be racing a single speed myself nor have any chance to win, but I that just turns me off.

·
Big "T"
369 Posts
Raymo853 said:
I may do the Lumberjack since I want to do a bunch of 100 milers this year. I will be physically fit at that time barring injury, but may not be able to go for other reasons. I plan on doing the Wilderness 101, the Endurance 100 and the Shenandoah 100 and want to do one more, either the Lumberjack or Mohican. I would rather not go to a race that has previously refused to classify a faster single speeder as the overall winner just because they were on a single speed bike. I won’t be racing a single speed myself nor have any chance to win, but I that just turns me off.

The promoter has a slightly different payout and awards scenario this year. It's posted on the lumberjack website.

I've done both the Mohican and the Lumberjack. The year I did the Mohican the promoter didn't measure the course or mark it very well. The 100 mile event ended up being over 120 miles long. 80% of the race was on roads (doing 90+ miles on paved and dirt roads in a mtb race was not fun) A pissed off farmer removed a marker 100 miles into the course that year. Only 3 riders actually rode the entire course because of that. The rest of the field ended up wander lost 20 miles from the finish line. Since that year I know they've had to on at least one occasion reroute the trail at the last minute right before the race due to flooding. From what I've heard, though, the event is getting a bit better each year.

The races each have their own style. My opinion is that the Lumberjack is a better run race. The trail is well marked. The trail and terrain at the Lumberjack is also sure to be in good shape even if the area experiences severe weather. The free beer at the Lumberjack will be better too! I've done the Wilderness twice as well. I would say that while the trail is completely different, the atmosphere at the Lumberjack is much closer to the vibe at Wilderness.

At either race you'll probably have a good time. Both races are in areas of their respective states where the terrain provides some challenging trail, and the people putting on and racing both events are fun to hang around with for a weekend.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there has been a slight rule change allowing hand ups. www.lumberjack100.com for more info. also please register sooner than later. it is nearing the half way mark for registration. hope to see you all there!
also this race was made part of the national endurance series!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Raymo853 said:
I have to say, I don't agree here. If there is a separate class and you register for it, then that's the class you win. Age groups are another example- if a 19-29 rider has the fastest overall time, he/she does not win all the other age groups as well. If an expert rider has the fastest times, he or she does not get pushed into competition with the pro class where there may very well be more lucrative prizes...and so on and so on.
If a singlespeeder felt he/she wanted to take a shot at the overall prize because it was mroe lucrative, he/she always has the option to just register in the open class. People I know make a point to do this as they want to demonstrate they are just as fast on the SS as others are on a geared bike.
Again, you win the group you register in. People can register in the other group if they so choose...

Just opinions,
Mike

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
Mike Brown said:
I have to say, I don't agree here. If there is a separate class and you register for it, then that's the class you win. Age groups are another example- if a 19-29 rider has the fastest overall time, he/she does not win all the other age groups as well. If an expert rider has the fastest times, he or she does not get pushed into competition with the pro class where there may very well be more lucrative prizes...and so on and so on.
If a singlespeeder felt he/she wanted to take a shot at the overall prize because it was mroe lucrative, he/she always has the option to just register in the open class. People I know make a point to do this as they want to demonstrate they are just as fast on the SS as others are on a geared bike.
Again, you win the group you register in. People can register in the other group if they so choose...

Just opinions,
Mike
I would concur with Mike. I came in 2nd place single speed class (ORAMM 05) and received nothing. The SS class only had a prize for first. I would have been in 7th in the Vet mens class and been in the "money", but since I chose SS I got what I earned. Cookie crumbled, but I knew I was eating a pretty fragile cookie when I chose the SS class.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can't wait for this race. I signed up for it a long time ago and I am ready to race. The terrain at the Manistee National Forest is some of the best in the state of MI. The ground drains water very well, and the trails is fast with som long gradual climbs along with shorter steeper hills. The flow of the trail is sweet and it never seems to slow you down. If you are thinking about racing it, just go ahead and do it. I am sure you won't regret it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mike Brown said:

Just opinions,
Mike
So does this mean once you turn 30 regardless if you are the fastest you can no longer win the race?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
seems to me the fastest person is always the winner. you just do not get to be paid for every catogory, just the one you register in.

i am unsure of what you are getting at with all this? are you fearful of not being paid? of not being declared overall winner? most of the people i race with know who wins and how they won and on what bike. the challenge is what they crave not the big payday. (actually most of the people i race with just want the beer...) so i encourage you to show up and race and get really schwilly on some great beer that is free! happy riding and i hope to see you there!

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
midget said:
seems to me the fastest person is always the winner. you just do not get to be paid for every catogory, just the one you register in.!
Midget, you are wise.

Since you seem to know a thing or two about the race is there pull up and camp at the race-site happiness or is it find your own hovel? If I'm drinking I ain't driving, and I ain't ain't drinking.

·
Registered
744 Posts
One thing to add, I am not a big fan of having a separate single speed class in any race. If you wish to race on a single speed bike do so, but don't ask to be put in a separate class with separate prizes/payout.

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
Raymo853 said:
One thing to add, I am not a big fan of having a separate single speed class in any race. If you wish to race on a single speed bike do so, but don't ask to be put in a separate class with separate prizes/payout.
This is where I slightly disagree. It has been discussed a bunch of times before, but I'm all for it. Is it any better to have people judge their own abilities and choose their class? Complaints about sandbaggers are rampant. There is nowhere to hide in the SS class. No matter what your ability you are racing everybody else on pretty similar equipment. Expert thru beginners all on a level playing field.
I will race SS if there is a class for it. If not I race expert and get my ass handed to me. I am also a pretty firm believer in the Clydesdale class. I just think picking and choosing the level you race at (on an honor system) is ridiculous. I can understand age groups (foot races do it that way), but we all know a local old guy that can beat the pants off the young-uns any day of the week.
SS classes exsist mainly because they draw out more racers and promoters like to have more racers. That's the bottom line.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts