Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am interested in building a second wheelset for my 29er. does anyone have any experience with stan's rims? the olympics look pretty nice but are they worth the extra money? i think i read that in order to run regular tubes you have to drill the valve hole, do they work with tubes without drilling the rim?do they work well as tubeless?
i am going to be using discs and maybe phils singlespeed hubs, not sure though.
any advice will be apprechiated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=145406 - not 29" but still, if you havent tryed the NoTubes rims i'd give them a go, i dunno aobut for the 29" but theyre damn light, you can run them tubeless without the rimstrip and without UST tyres (even lighter, UST is usually heavier and rimstrip adds some weight too) and my ones being the ZTR olympic seem to be pretty tough so far

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Why buy a tubless rim if you want to use tubes?

rlb said:
i am interested in building a second wheelset for my 29er. does anyone have any experience with stan's rims? the olympics look pretty nice but are they worth the extra money? i think i read that in order to run regular tubes you have to drill the valve hole, do they work with tubes without drilling the rim?do they work well as tubeless?
i am going to be using discs and maybe phils singlespeed hubs, not sure though.
any advice will be apprechiated.
MBA had a recent test on the new Stan rims. FYI they have the rim walls have no edge to catch the tire bead and the center portion has a very narrow cavity. The reasoning is the tires are no longer held in place by the bead, but by the side wall; especially with tubless tires and tubless tires need more surface area to seal. They sounded like a great product for a tubless tire, but if all your looking for is a light rim, there are probably better (and cheaper) choices out there.

1G1G, Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.