Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and cannot seem to find the answer. Or maybe I answered it myself below.

I recently acquired a 2006 Reba Team and want to lubricate the dust seals. In order to lubricate the dust seals, do I need to remove the lowers? I cannot find a way to pull the seals up without damaging them. The reason I ask is that in the owners manual it states to lube the dust seals this every 10 hours of use. However it also states that I should replace the oil bath lubricant every 50 hours. It seems to me that if I remove the lowers, I will have to replace the oil bath lube so I am in effect replacing the oil bath every 10 hours. Or am I just really confused?:madman:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flipnidaho said:
Stick a plastic zip tie in between the lip seals and stanchions and drip some fork oil in the gap. This lubricates the foam ring beneath the seals...
:thumbsup: Thx. When I rebuilt my Sid the seals were pressed in pretty good, so I just could not figure out how to pull them up with out damaging them. I never thought of using soft plastic to pull the seal back. Thx again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't find that the Finish Line Stanchion lube in the UK. Anyone know what's an alternative? Is it just anything with Teflon/PTFE in it (except presumably stuff containing lots of solvent). Do I need to buy a whole container of fork oil just for this (I suspect that I'll have the fork to the local shop for servicing)?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Yep, automotive alternatives

Parrotnot said:
I can't find that the Finish Line Stanchion lube in the UK. Anyone know what's an alternative? Is it just anything with Teflon/PTFE in it (except presumably stuff containing lots of solvent). Do I need to buy a whole container of fork oil just for this (I suspect that I'll have the fork to the local shop for servicing)?
I use this stuff in a very small mix with fork oil in my full oil bath forks and put it on my foam rings on my Van 36 and RS Revelation. T-Plus may not even be available anymore, but there are other PTFE concentrates in the automotive additives that do the same thing. This stuff makes an enormous difference in reducing seal stiction, and IMO it appears to increase seal life. I'm still running the original seals in my '06 Van 36 which is somewhat amazing to me. I treated those foam rings with PFTE when I first got the fork.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts