Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously they need a lube once in a while. I have a Tora 318SL fork.

I only have chain lube and synthetic bike grease at home. It was suggested to me that good stuff to use on the fork stanchions is CRC Silicone Spray. So asking for a 2nd opinion - is this stuff ok to use on fork stanchions & maybe even on shocks?

I will have a look around for some proper stanchion oil eventually but don't intend to entirely service the fork myself any time in the near forseeable future. I have only ever taken apart a Judy TT - and even then not as throughtly as I should have.

So thoughts, suggestions please.........

·
Riding free's the mind
1,014 Posts
stanchion oil

I also didn't know there was a specific stanchion oil until I rebuilt my Fox F100X with new seals and wipers. Anyways, Enduro which makes these aftermarket parts, recommends Finish Line Stanchion Oil. It's a fluoropolymer oil, which works it way into the wipers and seals while keeping the stanchions super slick (it's a type of lube typically used for o-rings to keep them self-lubricating). You wipe most of it off so it doesn't leave a regular oil-like film which would attract lots of dust and dirt.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

Check their website, they sell it there. Haven't seen it elsewhere.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
I have been using Motul Shine N Go silicone spray for about 2 years, seems to work good. Also you can flip your bike upside down for a day, it allows the oil to lubricate the seals instead of relying on splashes of oil. I wouldnt recomend the upside down trick with a open hydrolic system like Hope or Shimano, your Hayes are fine. :cornut:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip Dogonfr. I'll use the silicone spray in the meantime & probably order some stanchion lube after we move.

I have heard that with forks like the Tora it's not particularly good to leave it upside down for any lenth of time. But I can see the advantage of doing it now and then like you say.

I've used the chain lube on my Judy TT and really I think it was a tad thick for that sort of job - ends up going stickyish too quick and not that easy to clean the stanchions.

Tried the Silicone spray today & it seems like it will do a better job (than chain lube). I use automotive type stuff - although it can be used for just about anything. Ah it's great having a husband with all these car things that I can pinch & use for the bike!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
energetix said:
Tried the Silicone spray today & it seems like it will do a better job (than chain lube). I use automotive type stuff - although it can be used for just about anything. Ah it's great having a husband with all these car things that I can pinch & use for the bike!
I wouldnt recomend the bike upside down all the time for storage & sutch but every once in awhile is fine. Definatly no chain lube, lucky you didnt blow the seals on Judy. The auto stuff is fine, since i deal withe the moto industry i can get the bro deal, it's all the same basicly.

Ya you & my wife using all the stuff we buy for our personal stuff, abuse i claim abuse. :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you guys will just go out & buy more, and have plenty of stock in the first place anyway :) Mind you sometimes trying to find a certain tool or something that I need to use is a real nightmare! It's all "ours" in the end but of course the tools are more his than mine - although I did contribute cos I actually had some basic tools before we met :) (spaneers & stuff). Ah anyway he's in charge of the car & I'm in charge of the bikes.

·
Carpe Noctem
311 Posts
Heads up, it's not a problem to store Hope or Shimano hydraulic brakes (or the bikes they are mounted on)upside down. There is only a problem if you cycle the brakes while the bike is upside down.

If your bike is upside down don't squeeze the brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.