Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that kind! Damn Kom Krusher! Easy!!

Since we have different needs out here in the dusty, hot desert I was curious what everyone uses to lube up your parts. BB, Chain, Spokes, bearings... Let's hear it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
BB- Cheap grease from Autozone
Chain- Dumonde Tech Lite
Spokes- Do these need lube?
Bearings- LBS
Shocks/dropper post- Slick honey

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Not that kind! Damn Kom Krusher! Easy!!

Since we have different needs out here in the dusty, hot desert I was curious what everyone uses to lube up your parts. BB, Chain, Spokes, bearings... Let's hear it.

Thanks in advance.
yea, good luck with this. I've asked this question 10 times, and I've gotten 11 different responses. Personally, I like ATB, but I'm not sure they make it any more. When I ran out, I got Dumonde. It works okay, I guess.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was in my LBS a while back about some creaking. He went over the bike and in the end he said the nipples where they go in the rim were creaking. He showed me how if he torqued on one side it would pop and crack then he whole switch side and it would do it again. He said he would lube the nipples and the pop/creak was gone. I just curious what others used for this.

It's interesting to see so many answers.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,440 Posts
Chain: Dumonde tech lite
BB: Park blue
Hubs: Chris King greese (or park blue cut with Tri-flow)
Mind: Phish, Widespread Panic, String Cheese Incident

·
recovering roadie
606 Posts
Best chain lube I've found is "Squirt." It's a water based waxy stuff that needs a long time to dry, but once it does it lasts a really long time. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
General grease for most parts: Park PolyLube

Chain: Not Squirt. Never dried, ever for me. Made a mess of my drive train. Went back to White Lightening.

Hadley Hubs: Super Web grease(bearings)/Park Poly lube(needle bearing)/Tri-Flow(bath for pawls), which doesn't seem to run any smoother than an all Tri-Flow bath.

Spokes: Tri Flow

·
Got a suspension fork
2,447 Posts
Chain: Not Squirt. Never dried, ever for me. Made a mess of my drive train. Went back to White Lightening.
The only time I've seen people have issues with wax is when they didn't clean the chain of other lubes first. This stuff works great for me, I just put a new chain in a jar with gasoline and shake it around a bit, let it dry off, then on the bike it goes with Squirt, dries in minutes.

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
An iPod works great for stopping that bottom bracket squeak. I don't think I've ever lubed one. I usually let the LBS grease my hub bearings after they seize. I guess I should develop some more advanced mech skills. I like Prolink for the chain though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The only time I've seen people have issues with wax is when they didn't clean the chain of other lubes first. This stuff works great for me, I just put a new chain in a jar with gasoline and shake it around a bit, let it dry off, then on the bike it goes with Squirt, dries in minutes.
+1 on that except I use brake cleaner instead of gasoline.
I started using Squirt last season, prior to that I was using White Lightning. I find it lasts longer and runs a bit cleaner than the White Lightning.

As the OP is in the desert and has to deal with dusty conditions instead of mud I'd recommend a dry lube instead of a wet lube which will just attract grit to the chain. Of course this is very much a personal preference so, really, use whatever works best for you.

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,349 Posts
All this maintenance talk makes me feel uneasy, I thought you were supposed to only wipe off the dirt/dust from the last ride? What's next, changing out brake pads before they wear down to the metal or the spring breaks?? Putting on new tires before a knob rips off or the tread separates from the casing??

I can sense Raybum's blood pressure rising as I type......

1 - 20 of 52 Posts