Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any chain lubes stand up to water. Water like a stream crossing kinda deal. Not really submurged(i cant spell), but just from all the splashing etc.. that goes on.

Ive been using prolink, and it seems to work really well, save for the streams. After i lube everything is silent(its a SS). Same for riding, right until i hit the stream. The first stream i usually hit is 2 miles into a 10-12 mile ride. After the stream the drive train gets a grinding noise. It sounds like its really dry and there is all kinds of grit in there. Im hoping thats not the case, but i just werid like that.
First do i really have a problem or am i just being parnoid. Im a bit of a perfectionist(when it comes to everything but spelling), so if it seems off it bugs me.
If there is a problem is there a lube that holds up to water better?? Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I ride mostly in dry conditions, so I use Prolink as well. It's an awesome lube for the conditions I usually ride in. However, Prolink isn't a good lube for wet conditions (as you've found out already). Whenever I know I'll be riding in wet/muddy conditions, I use Rock 'N' Roll Extreme chain lube. I think it's the best wet weather lube on the market now. It's really dirty when applying it to your chain...literally, it looks like they put sand in the bottle. But, for some reason, it works great.

Give it a try...I think you'll be happy with it.

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trailrash said:
I ride mostly in dry conditions, so I use Prolink as well. It's an awesome lube for the conditions I usually ride in. However, Prolink isn't a good lube for wet conditions (as you've found out already). Whenever I know I'll be riding in wet/muddy conditions, I use Rock 'N' Roll Extreme chain lube. I think it's the best wet weather lube on the market now. It's really dirty when applying it to your chain...literally, it looks like they put sand in the bottle. But, for some reason, it works great.

Give it a try...I think you'll be happy with it.
Ill have to see if i can find that stuff. In the little bit of searching I did on here that name came up alot. Thanks.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Like trailrash said, you need a wetlube. Rock n' Roll Extreme is sweet... but it's not the only one out there. Pedros synthlube can be found in most LBSs and does the job well.. and lately I've been using finish line XC synth..

The only thing about the wet lubes is that they're messy. They attract dirt and gum up the derailleur pulley wheels. -I clean the drivetrain almost after every ride (OCD), so this isn't an issue..

*RnR Extreme is pretty clean for a tenacious lube. If your local shops don't have it, you can buy it online. http://www.rocklube.com/order.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.