Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
506 Posts
A silicone spray works great. I use “blaster” silicone spray on the seals and stanchions ( fork/ shock/ dropper) after a rag wipe down. Treats the rubber seals and keeps the stanchion extra slippery. Technically should help keep dust from sticking as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,034 Posts
I wouldn't use wax lube on my fork.

Just clean the stanchions after every ride with a soft cloth. Silicone spray helps keep dust off, but there's the risk of some of it reaching the rotors.

Keeping up with service intervals is the best thing you can do for your fork. If you store your bike rubber side down, turning it upside down for 15' before going for a ride can help too.

· Registered
178 Posts
I'm not sure how keeping the stanchions lubed and clean can be interpreted as a way to avoid service intervals. Flawed logic.
There's more to it than simply keeping the stanchions lubed and cleaned. I'm sure you know this.

If all we needed to do was keep them clean and drip lube near the seals, there'd be no point in doing a lower leg service.

· Registered
1,001 Posts
I just got back into MTB last yr (after a long hiatus) and still have an old can of Fork Fixtion. Can't even find reference of it now, but back in the early 2000's it was the goto spray to clean up the stanchions/seals.

As noted above, nothing will replace a good Fork service if required.

· change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
Back then lubing the stanchions pre ride helped, though only briefly. These days just wipe them down as needed. Like others have mentioned, maintain the service intervals which admittedly is expensive if you pay others to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

· Magically Delicious
14,230 Posts
maintain the service intervals which admittedly is expensive if you pay others to do it.
Just servicing the lowers shouldn't be too expensive locally, but it does bring light to a good reason to up your skill set and learning to perform simple maintenance on your bike. Even for an entry level tinkerer, performing service on the lowers can be easily accomplished with a little planning and preparation. Initially, it can seem daunting, but it's not a difficult task.

· Read Only
2,101 Posts
I'm not sure how keeping the stanchions lubed and clean can be interpreted as a way to avoid service intervals. Flawed logic.
People will use anything to convince themselves they don't need to pay for a service. Which is funny because it's a whole lot cheaper than wearing out your stanchions!

fork lube gives the illusion of working because the stanchions normally have a thin coat of oil on them which is maintained by the bath oil inside. Once this dries out, applying lube to the outside will temporarily feel better as it reduces the friction from the seals, but it does nothing for the important part which is the bushings.

· Registered
2,034 Posts
lubing the stanchions doesnt do anything, if you want a smoother fork then the only solution is to do a lower leg service
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Yes, everyone, make sure you're performing your lower leg service as required. But......lubing stanchions makes a HUGE difference. I use a needle oiler and add a little under the seal a few times a month. If you honestly believe that those foam rings are going to hold on to enough oil to keep your fork performing for the duration between service intervals, you're delusional. And honestly, how many people actually invert their bikes for several minutes before going for a ride?

· Registered
14,400 Posts
Last lower service I did was quite a bit over the recommended interval. Foam rings still saturated and the bulge in the seals I pack with slick honey still had some in it.

I do wipe my stanchions down before every ride. I hit the very top of the seals shoe shine style with a terry cloth rag.

I will lube the stanchion on my dropper sometimes but as mentioned that's just an indication that it's time for a service.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.