Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question: What do you recommend for lube on fork stanchions? Marzocchi recomends a "silicone based lubricant" around the seals. Any particular brand better than others?

(for the record, I have a 2003 Z-1 FR SL)

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I use generic spray silicone, about 1.99 in hardware stores. Make sure you pull back the lip of the upper seal/scapper so the silicone gets in there. Wipe it dry with a clean cloth. My z-1 has over 2000 miles and seals still look like new.

·
|i|
352 Posts
No lube....Whenever I use lube, no matter how much I wipe afterwards, the stanchions become dust/dirt magnets.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Silicone spray isn't sticky. It's dry and slippery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nothing works better than fork oil or Slick Honey. Your fork feels soooo much smoother. I alternate beween both. After applying either one, compress the fork about 10 times and wipe off the excess

·
otb club member
3,006 Posts
New technology trumps the above complaints...

Circus Creature said:
Simple question: What do you recommend for lube on fork stanchions? Marzocchi recomends a "silicone based lubricant" around the seals. Any particular brand better than others?

(for the record, I have a 2003 Z-1 FR SL)
Stanchion Lube by Finish Line is the best. It's not true that anything attracts dirt. The Stanchion Lube leaves no residue. It penetrates on a microscopic level and the excess is removed. I defy anyone who has used it to say it doesn't work. I repeat, I defy ANYONE WHO HAS USED IT to say it doesn't work (sorry to yell, but last time I mentioned this, several people who had never used it said, "No way!").

You should be able to get it through any shop that handles Finish Line products, but if you can't find it, I've got it on our site. I'm not tied into any complete line of products--I pick and choose what works best with our kits for each application. I carry the SL because I use it myself and it's the perfect match for our seal kits, especially during initial break in.

-Chris
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Chris2fur said:
Stanchion Lube by Finish Line is the best. It's not true that anything attracts dirt. The Stanchion Lube leaves no residue. It penetrates on a microscopic level and the excess is removed. I defy anyone who has used it to say it doesn't work. I repeat, I defy ANYONE WHO HAS USED IT to say it doesn't work (sorry to yell, but last time I mentioned this, several people who had never used it said, "No way!").

You should be able to get it through any shop that handles Finish Line products, but if you can't find it, I've got it on our site. I'm not tied into any complete line of products--I pick and choose what works best with our kits for each application. I carry the SL because I use it myself and it's the perfect match for our seal kits, especially during initial break in.

-Chris
I never said it didn't work, it's just rediculous to use on an open-bath fork.

·
otb club member
3,006 Posts
Hey, I never even mentioned your name!

Jm. said:
I never said it didn't work, it's just rediculous to use on an open-bath fork.
Well, if you don't feel a need for it, that's fine. In my experience, even with an open-bath fork, if the inner oil seals are working, the oil is going to stay below them. The stanchions are pretty dry when the seals are doing their job. I use the Stanchion Lube to eliminate any stiction where the wipers meet the stanchions. I treat the X-Fly on my wife's bike every few rides and it makes a difference that is easily discernable just in compressing the fork.

By the way, it's ridiculous to spell ridiculous "rediculous." Just kidding!!!

-Chris

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Chris2fur said:
In my experience, even with an open-bath fork, if the inner oil seals are working, the oil is going to stay below them.

Nope, the oil permiates the stanchions, on some forks like recent boxxers, it even creates a discoloration where the oil is permiating the surface and pores. The oil seals just prevent oil from sloshing out of the fork, but the stanchions most certainly have oil on them, and that is taken past the seals. Seals can be so poor that they create too much stiction, and require lube, but that's not really my point...it depends on the fork and forks from different makers are quite different...

Stanchion lube works, but the "advantages" will vary widely from fork to fork, because of the design and seals used.

Even open-bath forks will vary as far as their actual circulation of oil...

·
otb club member
3,006 Posts
OK. How about...

Jm. said:
Nope, the oil permiates the stanchions, on some forks like recent boxxers, it even creates a discoloration where the oil is permiating the surface and pores. The oil seals just prevent oil from sloshing out of the fork, but the stanchions most certainly have oil on them, and that is taken past the seals. Seals can be so poor that they create too much stiction, and require lube, but that's not really my point...it depends on the fork and forks from different makers are quite different...

Stanchion lube works, but the "advantages" will vary widely from fork to fork, because of the design and seals used.

Even open-bath forks will vary as far as their actual circulation of oil...
I'll send you a bottle free of charge. Try it yourself and see if it isn't better than no lube or any other lube. Just send me a PM with your address. No charge, no shipping, just a few minutes to apply it and the time to tell me what you think...

-Chris

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Chris2fur said:
I'll send you a bottle free of charge. Try it yourself and see if it isn't better than no lube or any other lube. Just send me a PM with your address. No charge, no shipping, just a few minutes to apply it and the time to tell me what you think...
lol...unfortunatly I an running inverted forks on both my bikes...i hope to change out my shiver sc for a fox 36 sometime soon though...but i've had enough standard forks (not inveted) to know there is quite a variance interms of stiction and action between companies and models. I simply can't imagine any marzocchi needing this. My boxxer on the other hand, despite being open bath, was never as soft as a marzocchi, they are sprung harder though because they don't have any real anti-bottoming features, but they never felt as "stiction free", my manitous felt like crap compared to my marzes as well, but back in 1997 is when i learned the value of lubing the stanchions. My 1997 manitou FS definitely benefited from it, and I did it with my Xvert R when I got that as well. I know the difference between lots of stiction, and a fork that is nearly stictionless. I do know there are ones that are just not as smooth as others, but i will stick to my guns that it is specific to certain forks, and others are so smooth and stiction free that it just isn't an issue, as with a fox vanilla (notice im not saying float or talas model), or nearly any marzocchi.

If you really want to send it, I'll use it...but it's going to drip right off :D Rather than say that all forks will benefit from this, I'd be more inclined to say that there are still many forks that just aren't up to the standard of the "stictionless" marzocchis, like the Z1 FR, Marathon S, and other models...

·
otb club member
3,006 Posts
For some reason...

Jm. said:
lol...unfortunatly I an running inverted forks on both my bikes...i hope to change out my shiver sc for a fox 36 sometime soon though...but i've had enough standard forks (not inveted) to know there is quite a variance interms of stiction and action between companies and models. I simply can't imagine any marzocchi needing this. My boxxer on the other hand, despite being open bath, was never as soft as a marzocchi, they are sprung harder though because they don't have any real anti-bottoming features, but they never felt as "stiction free", my manitous felt like crap compared to my marzes as well, but back in 1997 is when i learned the value of lubing the stanchions. My 1997 manitou FS definitely benefited from it, and I did it with my Xvert R when I got that as well. I know the difference between lots of stiction, and a fork that is nearly stictionless. I do know there are ones that are just not as smooth as others, but i will stick to my guns that it is specific to certain forks, and others are so smooth and stiction free that it just isn't an issue, as with a fox vanilla (notice im not saying float or talas model), or nearly any marzocchi.

If you really want to send it, I'll use it...but it's going to drip right off :D Rather than say that all forks will benefit from this, I'd be more inclined to say that there are still many forks that just aren't up to the standard of the "stictionless" marzocchis, like the Z1 FR, Marathon S, and other models...
My experience with Marzocchis differs from yours. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things I like about them. I like the way they are built (almost no plastic, etc.) and that they don't change parts and specs every year (no planned obsolesence). I think they have a great look as well. I just have not experienced the same "stictionless" action with them that you have. Anyway, regardless of the fact that your forks are inverted, PM me anyway and I'll send you some to mess with and see what you think.

-Chris

·
Registered
287 Posts
My experience...

Chris2fur said:

-Chris
I have 888's. They pretty much are stictionless. I have been using dry silicone spray just in case (preventative maintenance) and it has worked well. I bought some Stachion Lube and have been using it for about 1 month. It feels the same as the silicone spray to me, but like I said, my forks never had a problem. I do like the fact that you can apply it surgically exactly where you want it - sometimes the spray gets on things like rotors. Maybe the Stanchion Lube will keep my stanchions from turning green?!

·
otb club member
3,006 Posts
You don't like silicone on your rotors?

Dirtdemon said:
I have 888's. They pretty much are stictionless. I have been using dry silicone spray just in case (preventative maintenance) and it has worked well. I bought some Stachion Lube and have been using it for about 1 month. It feels the same as the silicone spray to me, but like I said, my forks never had a problem. I do like the fact that you can apply it surgically exactly where you want it - sometimes the spray gets on things like rotors. Maybe the Stanchion Lube will keep my stanchions from turning green?!
Yeah, I've used the silicone spray before, too. It does get all over things. Also, the affects didn't last long if I wiped it off. I find it does work well on clipless pedals (nothing underneath them to worry about getting it on). Anyway, your honest assesment is appreciated, even though it doesn't concur with my opinion. BTW, are the black-coated stanchions known for turning green over time?

-Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts