Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have three bikes all with 240 hubs. All but the road bike have the 36 step ratchets. I learned how to clean and grease the ratchets with the DT grease. The hubs are nice and quiet for a ride or two and then the noise comes back right away. I have checked the parts and end caps for damage and see nothing.

I recently started wondering if the ProLink lube that I use on the chain is causing the problem. It is a cleaner/lube and my normal practice has been to apply it liberally at the smallest cog right near the end cap on the hub. After I spin and shift it around I wipe off the excess. I am doing this as often as every ride depending on how clean the chain is. I wonder if the cleaner could be entering the hub and "cutting" the grease prematurely. Trust me, I know these aren't the quiestest hubs, but I would expect them to stay quiet for more than a couple of rides.

Does anyone else think this could be the case? If so, maybe I need a new lube product and application method.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
DT 240 hubs are not quiet hubs...and the 36t ratchet makes more of a buzzing noise compared to the clicking of the 18t that to me seems more noticeable. You have metal on metal contact, this scrapes the fresh grease off leaving a very thin layer, that is why they get noisier after a couple rides. You should use the correct grease and application method and understand you have a hub that makes some noise.

I can thing of a few reasons to not use Pro-Link, but this isn't one of them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts