Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
santa_cruzer said:
Has anyone actually had an LT test done professionally?
I have. $90 at Boulder Center for Sports Medicine. Really interesting. You get a curve of Power vs. Heart Rate and Lactate concentration that is quite accurate. You can see on the graph where you start to go anaerobic, although it's a continuous curve so the absolute threshold is somewhat arbitrary.

Yes, they take blood by pricking the fingers, and call me a wussy but it hurts. I have a new respect for diabetics who need to sample there blood frequently...

Vo2 tests are different and are another $90. However, Vo2 is not that trainable, and so the only good a Vo2 test will do for you is tell you that you're not Lance Armstrong. I have enough other excuses for losing that I don't need to pay $90 for another one!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
rapwithtom said:
I have. $90 at Boulder Center for Sports Medicine. Really interesting. You get a curve of Power vs. Heart Rate and Lactate concentration that is quite accurate. You can see on the graph where you start to go anaerobic, although it's a continuous curve so the absolute threshold is somewhat arbitrary.

Yes, they take blood by pricking the fingers, and call me a wussy but it hurts. I have a new respect for diabetics who need to sample there blood frequently...
heh, finger pricks aren't so bad, injections are the real pain.

Yeah, that sounds good. For aerobic sports, knowing LT is a big deal, so spending ~$100 on a test like that is well worth it (compare that to the cost of bike upgrades).

Check your local university (sports center if you have one), studies are the way to go for fitness testing if you can get in one, testing can be free...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.