Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1000 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've received a few emails asking, and that means more would like to know what's coming up regarding the Tunnels, Deer Canyon and/or the "Del Mar Mesa" in San Diego.

If you don't know already, there are a network of trails in San Diego that have nearly been "loved to death" after the canyons were "reclaimed" from itinerant workers displaced by La Migra raids. With Lake Hodges and Martha's Grove ravaged by fires, the trails community has been enjoying these private property "permission" trails in increasing volume and, if you've been there or read on this site, you probably either know or love them. Now, the parcels are part of a package to become part of the City Open Space system and are subject to a Draft Resource Management Plan that doesn't provide for any of them: by implication this means the trails would instantly become illegal, as confirmed by the Deputy Director of Open Space, if this plan were to be adopted as is.

After yeoman's work by Rob Mikuteit to document, record and map all the trails within the Del Mar Mesa RMP area, the Multiuse Trails Coalition and SDMBA have a draft trails plan concept prepared for the entire area to be discussed at the September 18th CAC meeting set for 6:00pm (not 7) at the Canyonside Rec Center (not the ranch house).

It will be prepared for public consumption ASAP. The important thing to know is that the battle for trails access in these areas unfortunately starts from the basis set by the author(s) of the draft RMP: NO TRAILS OTHER THAN THE UTILITY ROAD. The opposite extreme is "any and all trails that are there now".

The position of the involved trail-access advocates is that neither extreme is appropriate, responsible or acceptable. So, we have endeavored to draw up a trails plan that provides loops, access and -- where possible-- Full Multiuse Access for all non-motorized trail users.

This plan will also call for the eradication/closure of many trails in the Deer Canyon area. Some of these trails are obviously junk, others are "wonderful", but all are what the opponents of trail access will argue should be closed (ie part of "all"). You might be surprised to see how many trails are actually in there, right now! When you do, it will be obvious that it's "more than enough".

Please schedule your attendance at the CAC meeting into your calendar, now. Our goal will be to voice our overwhelming community support for an engineered trails system for runners, cyclists and equestrians that will be sustainable, useful and enable San Diegans to access the habitat and environmental amenities that we pay for with our tax dollars. It's not about "recreation" but rather "public access to open space". Please reach out to your neighbors, co-workeers and more: let them know you'll be coming to them with a request that they FAX and Phone local leaders and City staff in support of trails access for our kids, families and future. This applies to equestrians, trail runners, hikers and bikes, equally: we all like and enjoy trails!

Go time is coming as fast as we can get there.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
So Erik,

Are we trading Tunnels for other trails?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Eric,

I followed the links from SDMBA's website and looked at all the maps rather quickly. Are the tunnels trails even represented on the official maps?

You mention "multiuse access" and equestrians in your post. While I don't hate equestrians, it is pretty obvious that many of the deer canyon trails are not appropriate for horses.

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None of the Deer Canyon or DMM trails are shown on the maps prepared for the City by RECON, the contractor hired to prepare the draft Resource Management Plan. All of the trails are shown on maps prepared by the community and the Rangers have been diligently mapping, also.

I did mention multiuse access --with a proviso-- above, and would point out that, from "Day One" in the Multiuse Trails Coalition activities at Los Pen, our position has been that All Trails are For Everyone unless there's a compelling reason for limitation. Many of the trails in the DMM RMP "zone" are suitable for all users and, where that's the case, both the SDMBA and MTC will be proposing full-access for all non-motorized visitors. Where the nature of the trail and the Nutall's Scrub Oak are not conducive to equestrian or other pack-animal uses, we'll suggest appropriate restrictions (just as on the "Camino Ruiz Trail").

·
Registered
99 Posts
How about providing a link to the complete maps so people can review it before hand and can comment on it in an informed way.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Opiate of the Masses

Karl Marx said "Religion is the opiate of the masses." Taffy15 says "Singletrack is the opiate of the mountain bikers." Please help feed my habit by showing up at the meeting with your helmet.

All trail renderings will remain closely held like a hand of cards. Beleive me when I tell you like the marines leaving no man behind, this compilation of trails leaves no trail behind. It is very comprehensive. It is to soon to show your hand. These are after all public forums open to all and if you are attempting a little strategy that isn't the right move.

The most important role for everyone is to participate in the workshop. Were you impressed by the Chinese opening ceremonies? Then the agencies will be impressed by alot of us.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm going. I crave that singletrack fix, and the tunnels deliver. Many riders are singletrack addicts but not forum junkies -- yeah, it may seem hard to believe -- but I bet you know some -- please let them know too via e-mail or phone. (This topic is also on STR).

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
OldDogDan said:
I'm going. I crave that singletrack fix, and the tunnels deliver. Many riders are singletrack addicts but not forum junkies -- yeah, it may seem hard to believe -- but I bet you know some -- please let them know too via e-mail or phone. (This topic is also on STR).
You make a really good point here. I'd suggest anybody reading this that rides this area should stuff a handful of flyers in their pocket or camelback the next time they ride out there. Hand write some quarter sheets - time, date, and place be there or be shut out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
You make a really good point here. I'd suggest anybody reading this that rides this area should stuff a handful of flyers in their pocket or camelback the next time they ride out there. Hand write some quarter sheets - time, date, and place be there or be shut out.
Great idea! I'll take some next weekend. I assume SDMBA would be OK with using their message, as long as it doesn't end up as litter...so no indiscriminate distribution.

Edit: Rich or other SDMBA honcho please confirm -- OK to copy your newsletter and hand personally to MTB'ers? (not on windshield etc).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Get the word out to Tunnels riders

HarryCallahan said:
That's a great idea. There is actually a guy that's been handing out flyers for several weeks now, but he's only on the trail a few hours a week, so more people would be good. He said it's amazing how many riders you stop to talk to who aren't aware of the access issues or impending meetings and decisions, but really want to get involved. I think he said future flyers may include this thread as a "latest info" reference and a place to ask questions, pre-meeting.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Where are all the hits?

Looking at this thread today I only see 330 views. There are more views on the "poodle" thread then this one. Which thread issue do you think will have more impact on our ability to ride a trail that amounts to anything worth while in this area? I am hoping that keeping this thread at the top will invite a few more views. God only knows there are enough riders that ride these trails. Hopefully there will be enough "givers of their time" on the 18th and we will pack the house.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
taffy15 said:
Looking at this thread today I only see 330 views. There are more views on the "poodle" thread then this one. Which thread issue do you think will have more impact on our ability to ride a trail that amounts to anything worth while in this area? I am hoping that keeping this thread at the top will invite a few more views. God only knows there are enough riders that ride these trails. Hopefully there will be enough "givers of their time" on the 18th and we will pack the house.
Taffy,

My impression is that overall readership of this forum isn't that big in San Diego. I'm actually up near Santa Cruz, but monitor this forum because I still visit San Diego a few times every year. I also think a lot of folks just hit the forums for entertainment, thus poodles on the trails are more interesting than showing up at a meeting. No offense, but laying a guilt trip on them probably won't motivate them to show up.

I posted the idea of handing out leaflets on the trails. I'd also suggest personal appeals from you to any bike shop owners you know. Organize carpools, meet for pizza before or after the meeting, do whatever you can to get folks out.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
Signage on the trail?

I'm not sure this is the best approach but what about one or two signs in the trail in high traveled areas?

I was thinking about a laminated flyer hung from the fence line where somebody has left the found car key. The key has been on the fence for some time but if you look at the tire tracks, it is obvious that this is a well traveled corridor by bike traffic. This way it would be seen by a high majority of trail users.

The down side is the possiblily of vandelism and trashing up the trails with paper. I just figured a car key can be attached to a fence in the path of riders and remain there for months on end, the life span of a flyer surely could last 7 days, right?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry to see more concessions from SDMBA & Multiuse

When do you stop conceding ground and begin to fight. I left SD because there was so few places to ride. Sad to hear you have given up again. :madman:

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
socallush said:
When do you stop conceding ground and begin to fight. I left SD because there was so few places to ride. Sad to hear you have given up again.
Re-read the posts. All trail users will be united and en masse. And for your information, we've never given up. Happy to hear you have left and found somewhere else to ride.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
socallush said:
When do you stop conceding ground and begin to fight. I left SD because there was so few places to ride. Sad to hear you have given up again. :madman:
hypocrite - a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

While I appreciate your armchair quarterbacking, how exactly are you helping?

You mock the people who are trying to save the trails yet you openly admit you ran from San Diego because of the loss of riding space? Go figure.:confused:

To all other riders

Any and all little bits are appreciated. I will be posting ONE sign in the main area of the trails to draw attention to the meeting.
If you see the sign in on the fence, please do not remove it. We need as many faces as possible to represent the desire to preserve what trails we can.

·
Registered
292 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
Taffy,

My impression is that overall readership of this forum isn't that big in San Diego....

...I posted the idea of handing out leaflets on the trails. .
I agree. I think STR actually has quite a bit more San Diego discussion. There are a couple of threads about this there as well (but still not as popular as poodles. I'll be bumping it next week).

I printed up flyers that I'll be handing out tomorrow. I'll also drop by and post them at a few North County shops. And I'll be there the 18th.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
bankerboy said:
To all other riders

Any and all little bits are appreciated. I will be posting ONE sign in the main area of the trails to draw attention to the meeting.
If you see the sign in on the fence, please do not remove it.
If you don't have easy access to a laminating machine, I've seen temporary signs that have been "weather proofed" by putting a photo-copy inside a plastic sheet protector. Just be sure to hang it up with the open edge down.

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
If you don't have easy access to a laminating machine, I've seen temporary signs that have been "weather proofed" by putting a photo-copy inside a plastic sheet protector. Just be sure to hang it up with the open edge down.
Thanks for the idea. Instead I used clear packing tape. It is the official poor man's cold laminater. I made two signs, both double sided and will put one on the fence line where the trail heads through,towards rocking horse and the other will probably get attached to the fence near the eucalyptus trees.

If you have better location ideas, let me know. I will put them out around 7:30 am.

My plan is to hit the PQ ball fields around 7 and go from there. I am riding from my house and will be doing a quick lap or two in the tunnels. Any takers? I will be on a (apperently hated) red Specialized FSR. I can't stay out long. I have to get my 6 year old to his first Karate class by 9:00 so he can work out some anger issues at other kids expense!:D

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
bankerboy said:
Thanks for the idea. Instead I used clear packing tape. It is the official poor man's cold laminater. I made two signs, both double sided and will put one on the fence line where the trail heads through,towards rocking horse and the other will probably get attached to the fence near the eucalyptus trees.
That sounds really good! Two double-sided signs, 2 locations. Lots of people will see those.

1 - 20 of 1000 Posts