Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking ahead at 20" bikes and my initial thought was that Spawn's Yama Jama 20" was probably the lowest standover / saddle height.

Doing a little bit of comparison, it looks like the Vitus 20 Plus might actually have a shorter seat tube:
Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Transport

Comparison vs. Trailcraft Blue Sky 20:
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Any other options I should consider for even lower saddle height? (I'm already assuming that we'll be using a Spawn pivotal saddle on whatever we get)

The bottom bracket looks significantly lower on the Vitus than either the Spawn or the Trailcraft -- is that likely to be an issue? (either way, it's going to be higher than the BB height for a 16")

Note that I'm planning on putting on some 104mm Spawn cranks, which should also help mitigate pedal strikes with a lower BB.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm... looking at the other thread here, it looks like the GT Stomper might actually have a slightly shorter seat tube than the Vitus:
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Co-op cycles REV 20 looks like it's even shorter (at first glance):
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

When you adjust the angle to reflect the shorter A2C on the Co-op fork, though, the frames look pretty close:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another comparison -- Vitus 20 Plus vs Cannondale Cujo:
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle fork

Looks like the Cujo is the winner so far for lowest seat tube...

(Small note -- that's just for the 2018/19 Cujo 20. With the 2020 model, it looks like the seat tube is slightly higher and they've gone with a longer frame / shorter stem)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put my 5 year old on a HotRock 20 with a 3T Doric LTD seatpost (a because its light B because of the silly low height of the head.) and a Fly Jr. Saddle. This shaved 2+ inches off the seat height.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd ruled out a few frames like the Islabikes Beinn and Prevelo Alpha Three due to lack of disc brake mounts.

The current Hotrock has a stupidly long seat tube that extends far beyond the top tube (even higher than the rim height), which makes it clearly out of the running. Also hard to tell from the photos on the Specialized site if there are functional disc brake mounts in rear -- it looks almost like there's just a solid piece of metal that's not drilled out.

Older Hotrocks look to have better seat tube length (still longer than the Cujo) and no disc mounts.

A few of the bikes have heights from ground to seat clamp that are close with their stock tires, but in an apples to apples comparison of just the frames the Cujo frame seems to have everything else beat for shortest seat tube.

Cujo vs. Islabikes Beinn 20:
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle fork

Cujo vs. Prevelo Alpha Three:
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire Bicycle fork

Cujo vs. Prevelo Zulu Three:

Cujo vs. Trek Roscoe 20:
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Blue

Cujo vs. 2013 Hotrock 20:
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2019 Cujo vs 2020 Cujo:
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

Here's the comparison of last year's Cujo vs this year's - you can see the slightly longer frame / slighly longer seat tube.

I did come across something interesting - the 2020 lineup also includes a Cujo 20 Race model with upgraded components:
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/B...4e7-410c-a1c6-e417d887655e&parentid=undefined

For $750 vs $525 you get a Sram X5 10 speed drive train and hydro brakes - doesn't look like anything published for weight, although the base model shows as a few ounces lower than the 2019 model on REI's site.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went ahead and ordered the 2019 Cujo 20 through a local Cannondale dealer here.

2019's were only $399.

Once it comes in, I'll try to get a more detailed rundown of part weights for those interested.

Things currently in the parts bin or ordered to replace so far:
  • Spawn 102mm cranks
  • USA Made 24T 64BCD chain ring
  • Protaper Junit handlebars
  • Ashima Ai2 knockoff rotors
  • Wren 40mm stem
  • Tioga Dazz Lite Pedals
  • Schrader tubeless valves
  • Derailleur guard (have a whole pile of them from Performance Bike closing sitting around -- for a first geared bike, I figure this will be worth the weight penalty)

Waiting for it to come in to measure the spindle width before ordering a Ti bottom bracket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.