Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
awesome
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to go the stan's notube way on my fisher rig with stock mustang rims. I'm 165# and I like riding 25 psi rear and maybe a few less front, but I read I might run into some trouble if I go lower than 30 with notubes on non ust tires and rims. Anybody running low psi on their stan's or ghetto tubeless conversions? Any word of advice would be very well appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Been running Stan's on my 29ers for several years. I weigh 220 pounds and run the following right now on my SS:

Front:
Exiwolf 2.3 (wire bead) on Salsa Delgado-X (non-disc) at 25 psi

Rear
MotoRaptor 2.1 on Salsa Delgado-X (non-disc) at 30 psi

The key to running low pressure is finding tires that won't fold. Think stiffer sidewall and wire beads (which are better for tubeless all the way around). I don't use Bontrager Jones ACX Kevlars anymore after they blew/slid off the rim.

I've also used the Mustang rims and had good success as well with Stan's. You should be able to run 20-25 front (2.2"+ tire) with the right tires.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm 160 ready to ride, running 20 psi front and 24 psi rear. Stans Arch rim, yellow tape, stans goo, and Kenda Nevegals. forgot to check pressure once and dented the rear rim - I think I was running less than 20 psi in the rear by accident. 24 seems to keep me afloat. fwiw, the dented Arch is still holding air. Lower pressures offer fantastic traction!

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
dblspeed said:
I'm about to go the stan's notube way on my fisher rig with stock mustang rims. I'm 165# and I like riding 25 psi rear and maybe a few less front, but I read I might run into some trouble if I go lower than 30 with notubes on non ust tires and rims. Anybody running low psi on their stan's or ghetto tubeless conversions? Any word of advice would be very well appreciated :thumbsup:
I don't think even Stan would recommend you run - at your weight - below 25 psi. You can try, but I doubt you will like the feel much below 25 (depending on the tire).

I'm in the low 180's and my XR's felt like crap in the mid to high 20's, but at 30 psi they are golden. My Kenda Karma 1.9's run well at 28 psi. Both tires are on American Classic rims.

BB

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Fear not....

dblspeed said:
At 25 psi you may experience some burping if things are not set up perfectly (you may have burping even if they are set up right). I say "fear not", because tires mounted tubeless behave differently than they would with tubes. I find that a tubed application running at 25 psi feels and performs (around here at least) a lot like the same tire running tubeless at 28 to 30 psi.

You may find that you prefer the system at 30+ tubeless.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to try....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts