Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I'm in a jam. I need a 1 1/8 MTB headset with a stack height no greater then 20mm. Is this possible? The lowest I know of is the EL Freehead @ 22mm. Damn, the Fournales! (and Kona for misrepresenting their headtube length! Phock!!!:madman: :madmax: ) What I have come up with so far is a Star NJS steel track headset @ 19mm. This is a Super nice headset BUT it is steel (HEAVY) and is unsealed so NOT the best possible option for a MTB. OK, I'm going to go and pray now and perhaps take a Zanax.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
That'd be your only option... the lowest any conventional mtb headsets come is about 30mm unless you get into the fun game of mix and match of bottom and top cups (been there, done that) to save a mm here and a mm there. But 20mm... heh... that's expecting a bit much. As to the lack of a seal.... oh come on... most "seals" on headsets like Ritcheys and CaneCreeks are just a simple piece of plastic that doesn't even fit tight to the bearings. Get a lizard skin headset cover for it.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
You could always get a machine shop to lop a mm off the top and bottom of the headtube. ;)

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
DeeEight said:
You could always get a machine shop to lop a mm off the top and bottom of the headtube. ;)
Don't you even THINK of sending your frame to me, too, Axis! :nono:

Wish you would have checked this before. I could have milled the mount(s). (shrug)

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AndrewTO said:
Don't you even THINK of sending your frame to me, too, Axis! :nono:

Wish you would have checked this before. I could have milled the mount(s). (shrug)
Well I have "my people" working on this situation around the clock.;) My visit to the situation room today was encouraging. The NJS track headset is on the way from Euro-Asia Imports and should fit the bill along with 7mm of machining off of the headtube of the frame. 6mm off the top and 1mm bottom. Kona has the HT length listed as 3.5 inches online for the 17 inch version and this length was confirmed by the Kona rep prior to the purchase so imagine my suprise when it was close to 5 inches upon delivery-madman: :madmax: So, if there are any other of you out there counting on a 3.5 inch HT let this be your warning. But, in the end it'll be all good. I'll let you know how the situation unfolds.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
You prolly checked this, but they did send you the right size frame, didn't they. That's quite a HT length discrepancy. :eek:

It's too bad this is a weight weenie board or you could...errr...get your people to "talk" to their people--make a few things a little more clear.;) When is Soprano's having their next season?

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jesseg said:
You prolly checked this, but they did send you the right size frame, didn't they. That's quite a HT length discrepancy. :eek:

It's too bad this is a weight weenie board or you could...errr...get your people to "talk" to their people--make a few things a little more clear.;) When is Soprano's having their next season?
LOL, when I heard about the actual HT length upon delivery I was ready to take matters into my own hands so no intermediaries were needed.:madmax: I'm being taken care of though and I think all will end well, albeit with a slightly porky but elegant headset. That's a good thought about the frame size issue.....It has a 17inch sticker on it so I can only assume that 12yo Tiawanese child knew what he was doing, right?

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Axis II said:
LOL, when I heard about the actual HT length upon delivery I was ready to take matters into my own hands so no intermediaries were needed.:madmax: I'm being taken care of though and I think all will end well, albeit with a slightly porky but elegant headset. That's a good thought about the frame size issue.....It has a 17inch sticker on it so I can only assume that 12yo Tiawanese child knew what he was doing, right?
Just a get a new fork and be happy!! :idea: :D :p :ihih: :ciappa: :lol: :smallviolin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.