Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding SS for about 3 months (I also do some easy road rides) and I did a ride yesterday that got me thinking that may be I should go lower on the gearing. I am wondering how low you have gone.

Right now, I am running 32/22 on a 29er. I have been eyeing the Homebrewed 24T!! But may be, I should just ride SS more!!

·
balance_fit
323 Posts
My Jamis SS rigid 29er runs a 33x20. I can handle all but the very steepest of my trails, which are mostly loose over hardpack with the ocassional root, loam and baby head.
No long climbs in my area, the longest hill is a 4 section loose over hardpack jeep trail that takes some 5 minutes to conquer.

·
A Gentleman and a MTBR'
583 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing, how low is too low? I'm running 32x18 on a 26" bike, but I've been thinking of going to 31T HBC ring in the front or 19 or 20 in the rear... This is on and off road in San Francisco and the surrounding area. Gear down or man up???

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I currently run a 32/21 on a 29er for CA Bay Area trails. I tried a 22, but it spun out too quickly on the flat sections. I can't imagine going any lower for than that unless you ride somewhere with almost zero flat sections. I've never seen any trails like that in California, Colorado, or Utah, but maybe they exist somewhere.

As for Stubecontinued... I say "man up". 32/18 is a great offroad gear, but it's a bit small for the road. So I'd leave it alone unless you like spinning like crazy. I live in SF too, so I know you don't want lower gears than what you already have - you'll get run over by all the commuters who for some reason are always pedaling max speed (Doesn't anyone in SF ever just cruise along at a nice relaxed pace? Sure doesn't seem like it to me.)

·
Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
552 Posts
I've been running a 36/16 on my 26er. It is the perfect gear set up for my salsa. i love it, but need to ride it more. I tried a 36/15 but needed a tensioner, It hurt my knees and i didn't like the tensioner, Back to old gears.

·
Registered
27 Posts
34x18 on 26" for riding 20+ miles on a limestone trail. Works out to be about 13mph average with a nice cadence. Perfect :) (my girlfriend is no speed demon...)
Would probably go to a 34x20 to hit dirt though, would make life just a little easier... but I built my SS for the limestone trail (canal path). Wanted light weight and no shifters :) Lets me keep a clear mind and focus on what I am there for: the love of cycling and seeing nature!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Buy a few cogs and the tools to change them out in field. Stick with one brand, it will make set up easier. You may need a chain for extreme tooth change. I've been SSing for three months and run a 32/21 on a 29er and ride in PNW.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For what its worth:

started with a 32x21 on a 26 and thought that was a very hard gear, kept with it.

switched to 32x20 on a 29 and thought it was tough, and the bike shop guy told me there was no was i could even turn the pedals on any harder of a gear.

went against his advice and switched to 32x18 on the 29, it was very hard at first but it is my primary choice unless I am doing a really long ride with a lot of climbing.

ride primarily in CO and UT with quite a bit of climbing I guess

good luck

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
Started off with 32x18 on a 26", stalled out on climbs.
Went to 32x19 on a 26", didn'ts stall out on climbs but expected my patellas to shoot off my legs and kill somebody.
Went to 32x20 on a 26" and rode everything.
Went to 32 x 20 on a 29" and stalled out on climbs
Went to 32 x 22 on a 29" and rode almost everything

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.