Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Single speed build on a budget. Looking for a 120-130mm travel fork with 34mm or larger stanchions. 29"/27.5+.

What's the lowest end fork you'd consider running? The bike will see a fair amount of pretty nasty terrain. Fine tune adjustments are lost on me. Example...I sold a Pike RCT3 and bought a Pike RC. Don't miss the extra adjustments one bit. Just need something solid that works well.

I'm waiting on that great deal to pop up but in the mean time I'd like to see what other options I should be looking at.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yari, Mattoc Comp, etc. if new.
If really on a budget and no sales on Yari (they go in EU for ~250.-), then maybe Revelation or Recon.
Used Pikes and Lyrik go here from 300.- to 400.-.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yari, Mattoc Comp, etc. if new.
If really on a budget and no sales on Yari (they go in EU for ~250.-), then maybe Revelation or Recon.
Used Pikes and Lyrik go here from 300.- to 400.-.
Second vote for Mattoc. I went Pro model with the CRC offering them cheaper than anywhere else. Awesome fork that handles everything.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love my Pike (just had to look it up, it's apparently the RCT3) and wouldn't consider anything else on the market presently.
I'm perfectly happy with my Pike but I'm not seeing any at the moment for less than $400. I'm really wanting to get something at around $300 or a little less.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
suntour raidon 34mm then...boost
27.5 or 29

400 bucks or so....

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
44mm offset. How will that affect my bike if it was built around a 51mm offset fork?
Shorter offset decreases the amount of trail (contact patch with ground) which will in turn speed up steering in some cases but also decrease in others. Its kinda a catch 22 situation as it depends on how much the offset will change. Depending on the travel it could also change the HA. There are a couple good videos on YouTube that explain.

suntour raidon 34mm then...boost
27.5 or 29

400 bucks or so....
Actually would go one step further for the Aion/Auron RC2 little more burly than the Raidon. Other than that, another vote for the Mattoc or Magnum.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shorter offset decreases the amount of trail (contact patch with ground) which will in turn speed up steering in some cases but also decrease in others. Its kinda a catch 22 situation as it depends on how much the offset will change. Depending on the travel it could also change the HA. There are a couple good videos on YouTube that explain.
I'll see if I can dig them up. Frame I'm building up is 68 degrees as is. I definitely don't want to do anything that will cause it to become steeper. I'd rather go a little slacker if anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.