Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 112 Posts
G

·
Rb said:
Totem Solo-Air sitting at 90mm.

A raw Imperial SL with a lowered Totem would make a sick combination. (food for thought...)
A 90mm Totem and Imperial SL...if ever there were an example of overkill. :rolleyes:

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
scrublover said:
Why buy a new fork if you already have one that'll work just fine with just a little bit of tweaking? Doing it the short version way takes less than 15 minutes.
This brings up an interesting point...

Buy too big, then adjust down as necessary, and you will always have a fork that fits.

Get the Totem air - space it for the frame you are riding now, then you can space it for the frame you ride later.

I don't know how many forks I've bought to get more travel/A-C... Then they need to be reduced for the SS after a few seasons...

P

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Rb said:

(not mine)

^^ Totem Solo-Air sitting at 90mm.

A raw Imperial SL with a lowered Totem would make a sick combination. (food for thought...) :thumbsup:
i'll be putting a galvanized totem on my raw imperial

·
NICE KID...NICE
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Red 5, climbingbubba ... Thank you

And to everyone else who contributed. That could not have answered my question better. This is why MTBR rules. Looks like I will be rocking a 160mm Totem on a Bottle rocket soon.

Here is the thread that got me on the idea.
http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=44705

Thanks again

Wook

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I'll be doing this to my Totem once my spacers arrive. I have this fork for my Delirium and it's bad ass at 180mm but I'd like to drop it down to 160 or 170 for trail riding and then bump it up for DH/FR stuff.

btw,
I went back to a Fox36 while I was changing the seals on my Totem and I couldn't believe how flexy this thing felt in comparison. I think it's worth it just for the stiffness.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
RED5 said:
Can't see how it would affect warranty, since RS suggests this as a mod for their other forks. As far as I can tell the performance has not changed in my mod'd Totem (now 160mm). I bought mine to run on an 07 Coiler and I think it is totally worth, especially if you plan someday to move up to a bigger ride. :thumbsup:
It could possibly void the warranty when you start messing with stuff inside on your own.

Also there is no where on the Rock shox website that says its ok to lower a totem. when they first introduced them in 07 they had originally marketed that you could but quickly withdrew that. That is why there are no spacers or instructions on how to do this.

One reason i have heard is because there is a little hole in the rod in the air side and when you put a spacer on it then it does not allow for the air in the positive chamber to equalize into the negative chamber.
now weather that will affect performance i don't know. just something to be cautious of.

all of my info about my above statement are from here on mtbr. they are from a search on totems. Also alot has come from JMH. if you can get him to post he knows quite a bit about the totem solo air. he has changed his a bunch as well.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
climbingbubba said:
It could possibly void the warranty when you start messing with stuff inside on your own.

One reason i have heard is because there is a little hole in the rod in the air side and when you put a spacer on it then it does not allow for the air in the positive chamber to equalize into the negative chamber.
now weather that will affect performance i don't know. just something to be cautious of.
Such is the case with most everything to do with MTB, unless the work is done by an authorized service center most warranties are void.

I guess this could be avoided if using a PVC spacer, by just drilling a couple small holes in the spacer, make sense?

Still seems odd that every other solo air fork can be lowered using this mod and the Totem can't, doesn't make much sense to me. :confused: Not arguing, just saying...

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
!!!ATTN!!!

Just got off the phone with Rock Shox tech and here's what they had to say.

"It voids the warranty, because the fork was not designed to be lowered. We didn't design our big hit forks to be lowered. End of story."

When asked what was different regarding the design of the Totem Solo Air system vs say a Revelation, I was met with great hostility and again told that they are different forks. To which I replied, yes I know one is much larger, but specifically with the Solo Air design what stops someone from lowering a Totem. Again they repeated the warranty [email protected] and the fact that the forks are different.

Whatever, seems like BS too me. I understand you have to CYA, but they are just a little over the top about it IMO. All I asked for was a simple explanation, no need to be so doucher about it.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
RED5 said:
Such is the case with most everything to do with MTB, unless the work is done by an authorized service center most warranties are void.

I guess this could be avoided if using a PVC spacer, by just drilling a couple small holes in the spacer, make sense?

Still seems odd that every other solo air fork can be lowered using this mod and the Totem can't, doesn't make much sense to me. :confused: Not arguing, just saying...
I used the PVC trick on my revelation as well. its sitting at 70mm for urban/dj.

does the lyrik advertise it can be lowered? i didn't think it could either.
also if you look in the instructions for the Revelation, Reba, argyle and other forks it shows you exactly how to lower them and advertises that they can be lowered.
no where does it say that you can lower the totem. If you can find a RS guide, instructions, or even a place where they mention it i would love to see it for my own info.

now obviously it can be done and i have done it.
although i since have switched to a fox talas 36 rc2. i don't really notice any more flex and losing almost a pound for the same travel is well worth it for me.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
thats what i figured,
you have to expect they get that call alot though. probably ever since 2007. They warrantied my totem even after i had lowered it. of coarse i took the spacers out before i sent it in though. there is no way they will know you had it lowered unless you tell them.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
climbingbubba said:
thats what i figured,
you have to expect they get that call alot though. probably ever since 2007. They warrantied my totem even after i had lowered it. of coarse i took the spacers out before i sent it in though. there is no way they will know you had it lowered unless you tell them.
so long as your spacer doesn't impede the flow of air from the +/- sections, and it doesn't screw up the top out bumper - i can't see it causing any harm.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
If you use one of the RS spacers, it's got a slot in it, which you can align with the pressure equalization hole, and deal with that issue.

I really can't see this being a problem at all. I'm not worried.
unless you are talking about the RS all mountain spacers. if so they are too narrow and will cause the mushroom looking bumper that its resting on to squish out one side. this happened to mine and JMH's. this could damage the bumper and/or cause it to go back to the original height.

best would be to use 2 totem preload spacers and sandwich the all mountain spacer so the wide spacers would contact the rubber bumpers.

·
i like rocks
1,606 Posts
RED5 said:
!!!ATTN!!!

"It voids the warranty, because the fork was not designed to be lowered. We didn't design our big hit forks to be lowered. End of story."
Fox was WAY cool and totally helpful with parts and instructions on lower my Float 36 for use on my dirtjumper.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.