Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to pass along info on a nice ride I did this past weekend on the Rogue River-Siskiyou NF outside of Butte Falls. The Lower South Fork trail parallels the South Fork of the Rogue River for about 6 miles, all singletrack, no major climbs but it does have some nice short ups and downs. Nice old growth forest similiar to sections of the N. Umpqua trail. It can be combined with a Forest road for about a 12 mile loop, but I did an out and back. There are alot of tree branches and pine cones on the trails because it receives very little use. When I get the chance I put up some photos.

Overall a nice ride to check out if you are in the area.

Directions to the trailhead: From Butte Falls, travel east for 1 mile to the Prospect-Butte Falls Highway turn left and proceed (north) 8.5 miles to Forest Service Road 34 (Lodgepole Road). Turn right and continue 8.1 miles to the signed parking area on the right, located approximately 0.25 mile after crossing the lower bridge. The trailhead for this section of trail is on the north side of road 37.

Enjoy

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
Is the trailhead near the South fork campground? Just curious as I have a Jackson Co. mapbook and the trail isn't on there. (The book has most trails in the county... This one must have been forgotten. :skep: ) There are 2 FS roads that run along the So. Fork; road 3775 and 800. Is the trail on the east or west side of the river?

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is not the Rogue River Trail. This is on the South Fork Rogue.

However only the Lower South Fork Trail is open to mountain bikes. For whatever reason Middle South Fork and Upper South Fork Trails are hiker only.

The forest service needs to do a review of trails in the High Cascades RD, because there are a lot of great trails that should be open.

·
Registered
55 Posts
At the South Fork trail head trail 988 heads off in two directions, upstream is "Recomended Hiker Only" and is about 5 miles. Going downstream towards the dam to the west is open to bikes and if I remember is almost 6 miles. Didn't ride in that area last year but the south fork is open, the north fork segments are not open to bikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
S. Fork Trail

Yes, the lower section of the S. Fork trail is legal and open to bikes, the middle and upper sections of the S. Fork trail currently are not. However, the Upper Rogue River trail, which parallels the North Fork of the Rogue River is a National Recreation Trail and is designated as hiker only in the Forest Plan.

I would say there is some opportunity to open more trails to bikes on the District, but there doesn't seem to be much use or many users requesting more mountain bike trails. Most of the District, outside of the Brown Mtn trail, receives only horse, hiker and OHV use.

·
Registered
315 Posts
snmtele said:
If the Upper Section was open from FR 37 down to the dam it would be about 12 miles of singletrack then you could ride FR 3775 and FR 37 back up for about a 25 mile loop.
Love the idea. Btw, I fwd'd this thread to a SOMBA representative. Perhaps a work day could be put together with the USFS to clean up the trail. That would show appreciation and mtb use to USFS, perhaps that could lead to bigger and greater discussions like your idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.