Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the 5010 V3 in 2018 and love it ! However I have noted that Santa Cruz continues to release lower link suspension in all their bikes.Today the trail 29 Tallboy was updated with lower link suspension and I can’t help but feel that 5010 may be updated again and soon to reflect current line up. Does Anyone have any suspicions/news? I find it interesting as the 5010 was not chosen for lower link as website states it is better for small bump compliance.... however why in the world would they change Tallboy to lower link if this statement were true..

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I hope they put a lower link on the 5010!!! Love my Bronson, and would love a shorter travel version with the same pedal feel, just slighter less travel for that better acceleration, and slightly quicker handling! Oooh the want!!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
It's a curious move. I wonder if they had mules with the lower linkage. It might also be that they improved the lower link since they released the Bronson and Nomad. I don't know if they would redo the 5010 so quickly. With the market seemingly going 29er, they might not see a reason to update it again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Based on nothing but an uneducated guess, I think the 5010 will also go lower link in the future.

A few weeks ago I demoed a Bronson 27+ and the current 5010 27+ back to back on the same trails. Though, heavier, I felt the Bronson climbed much better over the rocks I rode so I vote for the lower link.

For comparison, my current bike is a 5010 V1. Still fun but the new geometry and suspension design felt much better. I was waiting for the Tallboy redo and now that its out, it appears to be the bike that would be best suited for my riding. I just need to get hold of one (and the HT V2) ride them before making a final decision.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Based on nothing but an uneducated guess, I think the 5010 will also go lower link in the future.
They originally mentioned that the shorter travel bikes would stay with the top tubed mounted shock, (something about it was better for shorter travel stuff) but here is proof that it can work. I would be surprised if they didn't put it on the 5010, however, we got a lot of time for the V4 5010 to be released.....at minimum 2 years I would think.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with cogswell, a low link 5010 could be pretty cool but it may be awhile and honestly the V3 5010 is just an all around great trail bike. I would say it is worth having even if they update it sooner that regular 3 year release. Get a demo ! Who knows, maybe you will appreciate the upper link for its intended purpose.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Blur and 5010 are their XC bikes. Both have upper link designs. Anything is possible but I'd guess a modified upper link to have a marketing story to tell.
The blur is their XC bike the 5010 is more a true trail bike and closer to the tall boy. It seem the comparable version the 29er will have 10mm less travel and in the case of the lower link bikes with less travel they add 10mm longer fork to match the rear end better. so I doubt it's around the corner but I could see the next 5010 a lower link driven and a 140/130 setup.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts

·
Who's riding today?
1,422 Posts
5010 V!.. still rocks

Lot$ of development$ with each new ver$ion of a $anta Cruz bike.

I'm still on a 5010 V1. A few "revisions". Dumped the "one size fits all" air suspensions and installed a coil fork (Canecreek Helm) and coil rear. In addition mounted Ibis 742 rims. Now the 2.4 tires really feel like 2.4 and the suspension is amazing. (Tires are Hutchinson "Cougars mounted. Discontinued, wish they still made them).

Wide rims and coil suspension, now this is the best rough and tumble 140mm travel XC bike ....

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 5010 v3 is so far the best iteration of the upper link VPP from SC that I have ridden. If SC does change the future 5010 to a lower link then I think they have to be careful to preserve the feel of this bike. In my opinion, if you like 27.5 wheels and you truly can appreciate the feel and different nuances of a bike, then this v3 is a must-have. The upper link combined with only 130mm of rear travel is obviously a touch slower when going fast through longer chunky sections compared to my N4 with coil, but for me it's the different feeling of the 5010 that makes it great. While the lower link design is outstanding for erasing the trail but still providing tons of mid-stroke support and trail feel, the 5010 let's you feel all of the small pebbles and rocks of the trail and provides even more definition/exactness of the trail. Whatever SC does in the future, I really hope they preserve the feel of this current version.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The 5010 v3 is so far the best iteration of the upper link VPP from SC that I have ridden. If SC does change the future 5010 to a lower link then I think they have to be careful to preserve the feel of this bike. In my opinion, if you like 27.5 wheels and you truly can appreciate the feel and different nuances of a bike, then this v3 is a must-have. The upper link combined with only 130mm of rear travel is obviously a touch slower when going fast through longer chunky sections compared to my N4 with coil, but for me it's the different feeling of the 5010 that makes it great. While the lower link design is outstanding for erasing the trail but still providing tons of mid-stroke support and trail feel, the 5010 let's you feel all of the small pebbles and rocks of the trail and provides even more definition/exactness of the trail. Whatever SC does in the future, I really hope they preserve the feel of this current version.
I could see them changing it just to be consistent, and some are saying things like square edge hits and less pedal feedback on the lower link, they could market as benefits. I should hopefully get on a TB4 in a few weeks to see how it compares on a rocky trail. I am seeing that without plus tires, I have a ton of seat tube clearance, and the link appears to have a few mm more travel at least, I bet the shock could goto 52.5 or maybe all the way to 55mm, 5010LT :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
One of the things that I did not like about my 5010 V2 was the harshness at slow speeds or lack of small bump compliance. I struggled with setting the shock up to balance it between having small bump compliance and not feeling squishy. Never tried a different shock but maybe that would help. If a 5010 with a lower link mounted suspension mimics my Bronson V3 that has great small bump compliance, good mid stroke support that would be great. Playful bike with active suspension rather than stiff suspension sounds like a blast!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Of course they will and suddenly the v3 which was the best bike ever till yesterday will be complete junk and everybody needs to upgrade...
Sorry for the hyperbole but if you think the v3 is a good bike for you stick with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.