Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in the last few weeks I have been riding about 6 miles just about every evening. Switching bikes from my SS to a SoftTail to my FS. The last two times near the end (around the 4-5 mile mark) my lower back seemed to tighten up. Enough agravation to keep me from riding at my normal pace.

I have been riding on the middle ring up front and between 5 and 8 in the back no higher no lower - somewhat training for a trip this summer.

I havent switched anything on these bikes and have been riding them in this configuration for a year or so now and prior to the last few days no issue.

Any ideas on the cause? Might it be just muscle pain from the higher than normal riding amount? It also seems to go away once I get off the bike for about 30 min or so - by the time I get home.

Any pre ride stretches I should do for the lower back - I do some minimal arms/legs/overall back...but nothing to target the lower.

thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
Many suffer from lower back tightness during riding. Mtn biking puts alot of stress/strain on the lower back. Do a search here on lower back pain. Read everything here, than make your own choices on what to try.

David

·
Registered
34 Posts
the areas that are probably causing the tightness are the hamstrings and the hip flexors. due to the pedaling motion they never got stretched out and then in turn start pulling on the lower back. in cyclists (in general) the lower back muscles get tight not because of lower back issues but because of the hammys and hip flexors pulling down on the back. try some stretches for those and see what happens.

·
mathlete
131 Posts
+1 to what rugger has to say. I currently undergoing physical therapy to remedy similar problems. The therapist also has me doing core strengthing excersices focusing on my lower abs, lower and mid back and hip flexors. My PT consists of a lot of streching (painful) and with the core work. The core work and strengthening excersices work the supportive muscles and othe muscles neglected by many hours on the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts