Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Meatbomb
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experiencing a LOT of lower back pain the last 3 months and I think it is bike related. I have not changed anything on the bike so it must be me. Any advice on stretches/exercises to strengthen the lower back?

Doc say's "your a clyde, take some flexerill" .. I don't like being dependent on drugs.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I had the same thing a few months ago and ended up going in to the Dr. Had a few chiro appts and adjustments which helped but the main thing was realizing that an old injury was affecting my hip mobility and causing the other side to work harder to compensate. which led to the back pain. I started doing some different stretches that focused on the gluteal(?) area and that has basically eliminated my issues.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Doc shoulda said "See a PT." Everyone has different back pain. See a PT and give them a few sessions, they can make sure your pain is related to the bike or just to being a clyde, or both. If you're in Ahwatukee, stop on in to my clinic and I can show you a few stretches that help a lot of my patients.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I have had back pain also. Mostly before I lost 50 lbs. Exercise was always a great way for me to get rid of the pain. Also try to take weight off your back and onto your bike if you can. I imagine stretching would help also.

If the pain is affecting your life/sleep please consider medical marijuana. THC has gotten a bad rap in the past 100 years. But it is MUCH better for you than the narcotics like percoset and vicodin.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had some "back pain" for a while, too. Then it seemed to move to my side. Ended up being a kidney stone.

·
Registered
342 Posts
In addition to the other advice on this thread, you may also want to make sure your bike fit and set-up is dialed in for you.

I used to have tons of back pain while riding and after riding my MTB. One thing I found that proper bike fit can make a big difference -- small adjustments in seatpost, stem length & rise/angle and saddle position can make a big difference.

While I'm not completely pain free (cause I'm old and out of shape), I have been able to reduce strain on my lower back by improving my bike set up.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
strong abs and obliques are probably more important than strong back muscles in prevention of back sprains. Work on your core at least once a week, I often incorporate a sport that is more core based - like raqcuetball or basketball in addition to core exercises.

·
Meatbomb
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could be on to something. My racquetball partner moved away about 6 months ago and i have not played since.

Thanks for all the advice !

·
Vincit qui patitur
745 Posts
2 Aleve a day and sometimes the inversion table.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Typically it is poor bike fit or underdeveloped core(as it relates to the strength of your legs) that causes back pain. Probably one of those.
Tight hamstrings and quads as well, I noticed my pain decreases as my legs warm up after riding for some time. Sometimes stopping and stretching again after a few miles helps too.
I do yoga once a week and it has changed my strength on the bike quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
strong abs and obliques are probably more important than strong back muscles in prevention of back sprains. Work on your core at least once a week, I often incorporate a sport that is more core based - like raqcuetball or basketball in addition to core exercises.
Another vote for this. My new job has a gym (great benefit) and I do a good amount of core workouts. Squats, straight leg deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, and ab workouts. Riding barely hurts now, unless I fall. Falling still hurts.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If you use a camelbak you can try adjusting the straps so that the water pack sits higher up on your back.

·
Give it a crank
2,995 Posts
If you use a camelbak you can try adjusting the straps so that the water pack sits higher up on your back.
A heavy Camlebak loaded with tons of water for summer rides used to give me lower back aches. Once I removed both the waist belt and the buckle across the shoulder straps to loosen the fit, the aches were gone. The pack does move around more but it actually feels much better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts