Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know with being a newer rider, there is going to be some ach's and pains until my body gets used riding again. So far I have hit the trails atleast once a week for the past 3 months. Everything seems to be adjusting fine except for this lower back pain that I have when riding. What sort of adjustments should I try to correct this?

·
narCOTIC
307 Posts
I have 2 dehydrated discs in my lower back (l5 and l6). My physio has said that biking should be good for them (or the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks). I have a medium size Cannondale f800, with a long, layback thomson seatpost (i'm 6'2"). I chose the medium frame 1. because i find you can throw a smaller frame around more, and 2. the shorter top tube gives me a more upright position, which feels better on my back.

·
Thank a Soldier Today
119 Posts
I had this too for awhile; very annoying. :madman: My fix?

1. Begin to lose the polar opposite pulling entity known as your gut ;) and, do core strengthening exercises twice a week.

2. Lower back strengthening excercises e.g. swimmers

I found that when I did some swimmers and crunches before my ride, my lower back did not hurt until around mile 20. Now that I incorporated the core exercises twice a week, I don't feel lower back pain at all. I noticed a huge difference within a week.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whole time I am thinking that it has to do with the setup on the bike. Maybe the seat was to far back, maybe the stem was to far forward or something like that. I guess next ride I will try strenching more and work on my core strengthing alittle more. Maybe a more upright riding postion would help as will.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Thank a Soldier Today
119 Posts
comnwealth said:
The whole time I am thinking that it has to do with the setup on the bike. Maybe the seat was to far back, maybe the stem was to far forward or something like that. I guess next ride I will try strenching more and work on my core strengthing alittle more. Maybe a more upright riding postion would help as will.

Thanks for the help guys
The bike setup could be it too so I wouldn't rule it out. I would look at both aspects closely. If you have been properly fitted; however, look at core strength a little more closely than the other.

·
Hardcore, in my own way.
121 Posts
I had to play with my seat a bit before I found the right spot that didn't overstretch me. On my rides I started to be hyper-conscious of my body position and posture to "see" what was really going on. I added my bar ends from my old bike thinking I needed more hand positions and then started adjusting the seat when I felt that I was trying to reach my lower back/butt back to sit fully on the fat part of the seat. It was very sub-conscious actually and took me a number of weeks to figure out. My next step was to examine my stem length, but I think I found a happy balance so far. No pain for the last few rides at least.

Just get Zen and think about your positioning and what you are doing in each phase of your ride (seated, standing, transitions, climbing, downhills, etc.). Oh and do the core exercises too. They will undoubtedly help.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am new too, but I got a suggestion last week and my pain is gone.

you need a higher stem on your handle bars, I got hte angle brought up a bit and my pain is gone; short stem that is higher made a world of difference, and I moved my seat up a bit.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I get the pain in long rides and climbs. I'm a semi-advanced rider, so the pain affects me a lot.
I do crunch-like exercises and what not, but they don't help me much when riding hard.

I'm 15, so I'm pretty bummed about it. I still ride regularly though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.