Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a stiff, sore, tight back for a week. Slight sharp pains with sudden movements. I believe it is from overuse over a 2 day period of lifting, riding ands carrying a 45 lb. child on my shoulders. Anyway, want to get it checked out to make sure it is not something more serious. Chiropractor or Primary Care Physician?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Go to your doctor! The sooner you have someone take a look at what ails you the faster you can get started on fixing the problem. I had crazy lower back pain which I dealt with for months (ie no riding, couldn't bend down to pick things up off the floor etc..) finally I went and saw my doctor and within 5 minutes he figured out that my hamstrings were WAY to tight and were actually pulling my lower back out of whack. After a few weeks of stretching etc. things got better very quickly.....

·
recovering roadie
606 Posts
Seriously - see someone in the MD profession. I had back pain that I went to a chiropractor for a long time for - never could do anything about it (made my neck and upper back feel good tho). MRI later reveals a blown out disc that I may have been able to prevent from worsening with lifestyle change and physical therapy. I'll never be the same.

Take it seriously whenever it's your back.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
go to a chiropracter that has a good reputation, particularily one who does Active Release Therapy on top of regualr adjustment

·
Registered
83 Posts
ferday said:
go to a chiropracter that has a good reputation, particularily one who does Active Release Therapy on top of regualr adjustment
agreed, don't waist your money on an MD, just go to a chiro with a good rep, and who listens to you. It's been my experience that a good chiropractor will listen to your aches and help out with physical therapy, while an MD will look at you, take your blood pressure and tell you to see a physical therapist, all in his allotted 7 minutes per patient time frame.

G

·
chiro

I had minor back pain issues...MD gave me a few (and I do mean few) muscle relaxers
That didnt do the trick. :madmax:

Then I went to a Chiropractor that is Sports Medicine Certified :thumbsup:
I've been very very happy with the results.

BadHabit, my Chiro wouldnt touch me until he had a 2 good X-Rays
I havent been in 6 months & his office hasnt called to pester me

added bonus: the chiro's nurses are pretty hot :D

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Before you start taking peoples' recommendations for treatments, realize that no one has made a diagnosis yet. Massage may work great but not for a slipped disc. A doctor or chiropractor can make the diagnosis. Or you can just wait it out to see if it gets better on its own (but you said you wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious).

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
RetroG said:
I've had a stiff, sore, tight back for a week. Slight sharp pains with sudden movements. I believe it is from overuse over a 2 day period of lifting, riding ands carrying a 45 lb. child on my shoulders. Anyway, want to get it checked out to make sure it is not something more serious. Chiropractor or Primary Care Physician?
Doesn't sound too bad, especially with the course.

I'm curious, having never availed myself of chiropractic care--do chiropractors customarily image spinal conditions?

·
International Lover
102 Posts
Mine never has

Then again, I've never visited him due to serious pain/injury. I doubt he even has imaging equipment.
While I do buy in to the benefits of proper adjustment, I'm not like some who are convinced they couldn't live without their chiro.
An hour-long massage (more muscle work and stretching than anything) and an adjustment every two weeks keeps me feeling limber and on the soccer pitch multiple times per week. And I've been sick once in the past 11 years (knocking on wood). This is not due to my "healthy" lifestyle, that's for sure.

-C

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
sit ups are a great way to work out your lower back. not just for the Ab's! and yater if you are for real than thats sad and im sorry.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you're lucky it's caused by muscle spasm due to overstressed lower back muscles. If you're not lucky, you've ruptured a disk.

Go see your primary care doc and let him figure it out. No sense taking a chance on improper treatment, which has the potential of making matters worse.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Back Pain

One word: VIOXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, skip the chiro witch doctors. Once you go for the initial appointment they'll be calling you everyday for follow up visits. Annoying. Take some Advil or Ibruprofen along with doing some lower back stretches. If you start to feel better do some gradual strength excersises for your abdomin. If all else fails then see a real MD and perhaps you need an MRI to see whats going on. Could be muscular or the worst a pinch nerve or the absolute worse a slipped disc. Typically it takes about 2 weeks to fully recover from back pain due to riding. Good luck and feel better. Its miserable I know.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
I have to go along with Nat. You need a proper diagnosis. From firsthand experience, I can tell you, improper treatment will make it worse.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.