Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lifting weights yesterday and I sat up with just 40 lbs after being bent over for reverse flys. anyway, when I sat up, my lower back, almost near my buttcrack just gave out. there was a sharp pain and now it hurts to bend forward (feels like I'm being stretched too far) or backwards (feels like my spine is pinching. can anyone tell me what they think I did. I'm not quite sure either. first time it's ever happened to me. oh and I'm only 20 so it's not because of old age and I've been weight lifting since 15 through high school sports so I know how to lift safely. just screwed up a little this time. I've iced it after a hot bath to help reduce the pain and it's slowly going a way. any other suggestions? thanks

·
bleeding eventually stops
251 Posts
it ain't broke

ice, motrin, stretch. stay away from the heat for the first 48 hours. if you have numbness, tingling, weakness, can't control your pee or poop.... get to the ER.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Probably doesnt relate to your specific problem, but strenghening the abs works very well in controlling back pain . . .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to an acupuncturist/physical therapist. I strained a joint. No bike riding for a few weeks which blows. It's funny, my left leg is shorter than my right leg right now because of the injury. Balls I say, balls.

·
Registered
11 Posts
See a doctor

Spoondy said:
I was lifting weights yesterday and I sat up with just 40 lbs after being bent over for reverse flys. anyway, when I sat up, my lower back, almost near my buttcrack just gave out. there was a sharp pain and now it hurts to bend forward (feels like I'm being stretched too far) or backwards (feels like my spine is pinching. can anyone tell me what they think I did. I'm not quite sure either. first time it's ever happened to me. oh and I'm only 20 so it's not because of old age and I've been weight lifting since 15 through high school sports so I know how to lift safely. just screwed up a little this time. I've iced it after a hot bath to help reduce the pain and it's slowly going a way. any other suggestions? thanks
In my case, the similar injury turned out to be a herniated disk. It took me about two years to recover. Keeping the weight down and building abdominal strength is a big help. Riding fit the bill well for helping me manage my weight. The doctor that treated me at the time compared my injury to Larry Bird's - mostly to drive home the point the my injury should not preclude me from being physically active. Nonetheless, I did retire from fighting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i stress fractured a vertebrae in high school playing football. (as it turns out i had a soft spot on my L4 vert. -- a genetic defect called spondylolysis) anyway, when it cracked it it ended up causing my back muscles to spasm badly in the lower left part of my back. this lifted my left hip up about 3 inches and consequently gave the impression that my left leg was shorter than my right. i had shooting pains almost like a knife was deep in my lower back.

it's possible that repeated lifting has caused a stress fracture in a vertebrae. if this is the case, the problem won't go away with time and you need to see a doc and get some physical therapy.

i'd seriously reccommend seeing an orthopedist and getting some x-rays done.

yeah i'm 19 and still have back problems periodically. it doesn't bode well for my future as an old man. aging is a b!tch.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Try crunches ...

Spoondy said:
A lot of lower back problems are caused by weak abs. But if the pain doesn't receed you should consult a doctor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a lot of lower back problems in college, especially during lacrosse season. Do a lot of Ab work when you feel well enough to. It helps a lot. Also, Try sleeping on the floor for a few nights. It does wonders. During Lacrosse season I used ot spend about 2 or 3 nights a week down there. Since college I bought a new bed, which will make a huge difference. I still have problems at times, but nothing like before. Good luck with it. IT sucks, I know.

·
Barneys Unite!
748 Posts
Go to a doctor . . .

sounds like a disc herniation. If it is, and you keep exercising or lifting, you could make it worse. That could lead to surgery and no weight lifting or bike riding for quite some time.

I herniated a lumbar disc about ten years ago doing leg presses, and I went through a pretty miserable year until I got it under control.

The potential misery is not worth risking. Go to a doc.

Oh, yeah, call your mother, too, :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds like something I had a couple of years back.

I injured my back at work lifting stuff that was a bit to heavy. First af all, a doctor is a good idea, just in case. I did learn that herniated discs are unlikely for the young because it take years to put that type of where on a disc. It is very likely that you have strained the muscles in your lower back, they are some of the weakest in your body.

The pain is caused by an inflammatory response in the area creating pressure on the spinal nerves. I, being the man's man that I am, continued to work through the pain for months. Than one day like you described, it just spazzed out and I was in pretty bad shape. I was actually bedridden for a few days. My doctor gave me anti-inflammatory medications which eased the pain. I was out of work for three months. one thing I learned the hard way is that you have to allow the back plenty of time to heal. Do not go being The World's Strongest Man just because it feels better because the pain will return instantly.

After my back got to the point where I could move again, the doctor started me on some real basic exercises. One of them was to lay on my stomach with my hands behind my head and lift my head and shoulders up. This builds strength in the lower back muscles with out exposing them to injurious strain. Another was just lying on the edge of the bed with my head and shoulders hanging off to arch my back. Something about stretching the connective tissues. Then he put me in one of those Nautilus type machines where you put your arms up against some bars or what ever and twist at the waist, like others said to strengthen the abdomen.

Most importantly he told me NO HEAVY LIFTING. Kind of tricky for a cabinetmaker, but in due time a figured out how to get through life doing as littlie lifting as possible.

If you do not want to see a doctor, give your back plenty of rest. Take an anti-inflammatory and when you feel well enough try some light strength building exercises. But, dammit Jim! I'm a jointer not a doctor!

You really should see a doctor. I've toughed my way through some broken bones and other sh!t but this back thing brought the baby out in me. Plus it seems like back injuries become chronic problems relatively often.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nobody ever listens, but...

I'll tell you anyway. Get "Healing Back Pain," by John Sarno. If you're open minded you'll be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts