Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse my noobishness. My '04 jekyll 600 lefty came with a 15* stem, and a flat bar. I've read that some felt that it should have come with a riser bar. I didn't know if that applied to just ones with 5* stems, or if they all came with 15* How would I know if I would benefit from a riser bar, without trying it? What might the benefits be? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Are you having any issues with the flat bar? like doing lots of endo's or maybe lack confidence going down hill.

Risers seem to be here to stay as rider position has evolved to a more upright position,it does seem to instill more confidence on rough terrain and when the trail goes down.

Measure from the ground up to the top of your seat and top of your bars and see what you have.
Most riders currently like them about level,i'm not one of them as all my bikes have the bars 2" below the seat which has alot to do with my long arms.

If your an aggressive AM rider you'll likely benefit from a riser bar.

·
|i|
352 Posts
Dan Theman said:
Please excuse my noobishness. My '04 jekyll 600 lefty came with a 15* stem, and a flat bar. I've read that some felt that it should have come with a riser bar. I didn't know if that applied to just ones with 5* stems, or if they all came with 15* How would I know if I would benefit from a riser bar, without trying it? What might the benefits be? Thanks!
You won't really know unless you try. A 15 degree stem is pretty steep - you probably don't need a riser bar.

You could always pick up some junk riser bar at your LBS for cheap and try it out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bird said:
Are you having any issues with the flat bar? like doing lots of endo's or maybe lack confidence going down hill.

Risers seem to be here to stay as rider position has evolved to a more upright position,it does seem to instill more confidence on rough terrain and when the trail goes down.

Measure from the ground up to the top of your seat and top of your bars and see what you have.
Most riders currently like them about level,i'm not one of them as all my bikes have the bars 2" below the seat which has alot to do with my long arms.

If your an aggressive AM rider you'll likely benefit from a riser bar.
I've only taken it out once, and it's my first bike, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Right now, the bar sits about 2" below the seat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.