Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Low riding rockshox Reba Solo air 100mm 2013

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Carve It Up 
#1 ·
In January I went for a ride in -30C. It was just an easy slow spin for an hour on roads. The next day was significantly warmer (maybe -12 to -15C) I took my bike out of my warm house and rode off a one foot drop from my deck. It is my best guess that this is the moment my shock sank to less than 50mm of travel. I didn't notice until I was about a minute into my ride. When I got home I checked the pressure in the shock. I still had the 120psi I normally leave it at. I deflated and pumped up again. It was still really low. I figured that I broke a seal so I ordered new ones from the lbs. The problem is that I live in the middle of nowhere Norway. This means that bike shops are ski shops in winter so I've been stuck playing the waiting game for a while now. I put 180psi in my shock a few months ago and usually leave it locked out. While I have about 70-80mm of travel now, it just sucks to ride. Is there an alternative fix to this? What exactly is the problem? Could I rebuild the fork with the old seals and use motor oil as a few other people in the forums have talked about doing? The ski trails here are not skiable right now and are proving to be awesome single track. I hate putting a compromised fork through the abuse.
thanks for the help,
Jesse

Discussion starter · #3 ·
TechniKal, THANK YOU SO MUCH! It's so rare that when someone describes an easy fix that it actually is an easy fix!
I was a little worried about the oil spraying so I removed all air from the upper chamber. Then I put a plastic bag over the fork and punched a hole in it with a sharpened spoke. I used the sharpened spoke to relieve the valve. My heart nearly kept out of my chest when my fork shot up to its full extension! You were spot on about the oil spray too! Glad I put a bag over it. Next I pumped the shock back up and found that I was still missing a few mm of travel so I released the negative chamber air again. I could hear bits of air bubbling out of the oil, which did not spray at all this time. To my surprise I gained the rest of my travel back!
Now to ride it and hope I don't come back damning you!
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.