Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first MTB and with milder than usual winter, I am trying to ride my bike in 30-38 degree temperatures. trying because my feet are freezing after 10 km or so.
If I easily solved the hand problem, the feet problem remains. I tried to wear warm socks with my regular runners, it is not the same thing.
I would like to find a lowish profile winter shoe to wear with platform pedals. In my mind I see something along the lines of an insulated waterproof hiking shoe. Definitely not a boot, unless it has a fairly soft, not rigid top.
I have considered Salomon, but I am wondering if they are too "luggy" for pedal use.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, most importantly, it has to be a women's shoe. I am size 5US women's, so men's shoes are out of question.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try to seek out some 5.10 Freerider EPS, great shoe don't know why they stopped making them but still out there..
thank you for your suggestion. They are pretty impossible to find, unfortunately.

I went with, perhaps, an unusual choice. I purchased a pair of Vans from their MTE line. It checked all the boxes for me. They are water resistant, have Prima Loft insulation, and have a nice grippy outsoles. They were also on sale at quite a reasonable price.

They will be good on and off the bike.

·
9 lives
15,633 Posts
Nothing beats pedal grip than 5 10's but as the temps get colder they are not warm enough. I have retired them until warmer drier spring conditions (I live in Ontario) They are good in cool temp with thick wool socks. They wont keep your feet dry unless you are wearing waterproof socks like sealskin

I have tried Salomon gortex trail shoes and they are not great for platforms or riding (they are a trail running shoe only IMHO). Some of us that ride platform, wear lightweight, warm snowshoe boots. I experience enough ankle flexibility and the grip is pretty good and they are waterproof. I wear a wool sock and I'm comfy.

Check out Mec for selection.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MEC was the first place I checked. I am also in Ontario.
I really like my new Vans. Just came back from a ride. Nice and warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts