Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems common to have suspension pivot fasteners in such a tight spot that the normal torque wrenches just dont fit (head too wide and 3/8" drive bits too long). See pic below. My Ibis was like this, my new Giga is like this and a number of other FS bikes i've had.

Taking these apart and servicing is tedious with just L allen keys. Even ball drivers dont generally have enough angle to spin them. One answer might be using a low profile ratcheting wrench just for hex bits, then use a low profile torque only wrench (such as the Effeta Mariposa) to torque them. But that wrench is limited in its peak torque. A combo compact hex bit ratcheting torque wrench that goes up to 20+nm would be ideal

Any suggestions on such a unique niche tool? What does the factory or shop assemblers use here? Or are they just hand cranking down on L keys Gutentite style?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
You could almost certainly get a bit-style torque wrench in there, but it's going to be tight on the return angle of the wrench.

Wera and Topeak both make a 1/4" bit-style wrench.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a few interesting items. a Syntace 1-25nm tool, a Wera 1-25nm tool and the Topeak D-Tork 1-20. The Syntace seems the bargain of the bunch at around $130 and worth a shot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That one didn't have 1/4 hex drive--thats the key for having the shortest possible clearance in the tighter spots. The Topeak is the clearance king but the others a just a few mm behind. With a 1/4 square drive, the clearance becomes really long since you cannot recess a simple bit in the head.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Silca Ti torque wrench set is really nice and comes with a nifty tool roll. It has all sorts of configurations for tight clearances. I got mine for approx. $100.00 - on Amazon - you won't be disappointed - and has lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would just use a 1/4 drive low profile hex bit, a universal joint and an extension. You'll probably have a bit more than a ten degree deflection angle, I would think (but not positive) you would be under-torquing when the wrench reads the said value. So just add some blue loctite to the threads and go ride. It's not like your installing new camshafts in a Ferrari.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,013 Posts
just slap a bit in there and crank on it with an extension

torque is easy with bumblef**k adapters

1 - 10 of 10 Posts