Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through the thread about the post ride DUI it's evident that a lot of us enjoy a beer after riding. Much as I would like to partake in a nice refreshing beer after a ride, I don't do it unless someone else is driving... at 115lbs even one moderately alcoholic 12oz is enough to make me feel uncomfortable with getting behind the wheel afterwards.

It seems to me that the post ride beer isn't necessarily about the alcohol itself, but more the lure of a cold, refreshing, tasty beverage, and the camaraderie of sharing it with friends. So my question is, has anyone found low or non alcoholic beer that actually tastes good? I tried St. Pauli Girl a few years ago and it was awful, but surely there are better options out there with the current craft beer revolution. If you've found one, please enlighten the rest of us... what did you find, how does it compare to the real deal, and where did you buy it?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Kalibur by Guniness. I drank it when my ex wife was pregnant.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Even Keel Session IPA by Ballast Point is 3.8% ABV--less than half the ABV of a Pliny the Elder. It's not as good as Pliny--but it's more than half as good in my opinion--and one isn't going to put a 180-pounder like me in DUI danger or impair driving in anyway. Plus it comes in cans, so you can even bring it up the trail with you should you so desire.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,570 Posts
Bitburger drive is a good n/a bitter ale, Erdinger is good. Kaliber, , hoppy version of Clausthaler. Are my top 4

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Buckler by Heineken- (name correction I had listed as Buckner)

I looked for good reviews to see what I could find a few years ago, Buckler maybe ? by Heineken was listed as a better one. I did buy it and try a few times. As for others I'd had, Buckler was pretty good and above the norms available locally.
I understand the motivation and goal here - it's a smart way to mitigate chancy outcomes. I had done the same search for a good tasting lite beer where Heineken turned up as well.

I feel like a beer in the 3.2 to 5 % range is okay for me as long as I don't 'hurry up' and down it and that is exactly how I keep the peace. If I drank a few beers at a time or back to back, I'd have to go N/A. My drink limit is slim and always has been. I was a skinny kid til mid to late 30's, I'm 5'11', 165 - lbs and 57 years now.

For me, the pleasure is the taste as primary enjoyment and avoiding the blurry feeling of being slightly 'happy'. Around the house, and not going anywhere by car / motorcycle or bicycle, I've had that feeling in the past and learned my limits. I'd say 2 beers within 2 or 2.5 hours can do it and that's not specific to higher test beers either. Food on my stomach would help if not mostly negate it and I don't miss many meals but this is my recollection of that feeling.
Since I am mostly spur-of-the-moment - (poor planning and organization) and like to jump in the car to run errands or whatever, I'm very cognizant of my intake.

Anyways, all this rambling was to put in perspective what worked well for me at the time; Grocery stores used to have 3.2 % only and that made it real easy for me. 5, 6 or more abv came in 3.2 versions. Now I have to be more careful as the rules of retail changed.
I'll sometimes open and consume a third or half of a beer then put it in the 'fridge' or have one last me close to 2 hours as I'm doing things around the house, get side tracked, forget where I placed it or just not concentrate on sitting and drinking. Temperature isn't big concern so it setting out buffers that ice-cold that really isn't preferred anyways.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Hello, my name is DH40 and I drink too many non-NA beers.

I power beer after beer most nights after work and while cooking, doing chores, walking around my neighborhood. Usually the 19.2 oz cans. I am surrounded by bars and corner stores, but some of the best deals are at Amazon Foods of all places like Dales cans @ 2 for $4. I drink a beer on rides, after rides, and during UCI DH race mornings beginning a about 5am. All my friends seem have the same problem - odd. I drink beers on my stoop and sitting in my car listening to the Giants on 680. That is normally illegal apparently, but there is virtually zero police presence on the SF. Not germane to the discussion - just had to get that off my chest.

Caw Caw

·
F*** it
1,277 Posts
I had my first big blue Bud Light after a long day at N*. It was all they had left at their happy hour party. And it was better than bad! A few years after that we had a hot day of riding around Susanville, went back to the airbnb, checked the fridge, and...big blue Bud Light #2. Hit the spot!

·
Registered
768 Posts

I power beer after beer most nights after work and while cooking, doing chores, walking around my neighborhood. Usually the 19.2 oz cans. I am surrounded by bars and corner stores, but some of the best deals are at Amazon Foods of all places like Dales cans @ 2 for $4. I drink a beer on rides, after rides, and during UCI DH race mornings beginning a about 5am. All my friends seem have the same problem - odd. I drink beers on my stoop and sitting in my car listening to the Giants on 680. That is normally illegal apparently, but there is virtually zero police presence on the SF. Not germane to the discussion - just had to get that off my chest.

Caw Caw
Total Giants fan 100%! Go Phillies!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Reading through the thread about the post ride DUI it's evident that a lot of us enjoy a beer after riding. Much as I would like to partake in a nice refreshing beer after a ride, I don't do it unless someone else is driving... at 115lbs even one moderately alcoholic 12oz is enough to make me feel uncomfortable with getting behind the wheel afterwards.

It seems to me that the post ride beer isn't necessarily about the alcohol itself, but more the lure of a cold, refreshing, tasty beverage, and the camaraderie of sharing it with friends. So my question is, has anyone found low or non alcoholic beer that actually tastes good? I tried St. Pauli Girl a few years ago and it was awful, but surely there are better options out there with the current craft beer revolution. If you've found one, please enlighten the rest of us... what did you find, how does it compare to the real deal, and where did you buy it?

Cheers
Look up Mikkeller and check this https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/g25335995/the-best-non-alcoholic-beers/

·
loopy counter
872 Posts

Caw Caw
This reads like a rehab confessional. Dales is 6%, iirc.

Sometimes we should not do something not because it is unenforced, but because it is unconscionable.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I enjoyed Lagunitas' Hoppy Refresher when I had one a while back. I'd say it would make a respectable parking lot quaffer.
The DUI thread inspired me to pick up a pack of those.

Not bad, but also not that good. Doesn't taste anything like beer. Id call it hop-flavored LaCroix.

I agree that it makes a good post ride drink, but at $7 for a 4 pack, I don't think I'll be buying it often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
wretch
2,126 Posts

Caw Caw
I think we're friends ...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Even Keel Session IPA by Ballast Point is 3.8% ABV--less than half the ABV of a Pliny the Elder. It's not as good as Pliny--but it's more than half as good in my opinion--and one isn't going to put a 180-pounder like me in DUI danger or impair driving in anyway. Plus it comes in cans, so you can even bring it up the trail with you should you so desire.
Even Keel is good, and Mango Even Keel is even better. Though last time I bought Mango Even Keel is was like 15 bucks for a 6-pack and that's kinda expensive for a 3.8%, even if it does taste like fruit juice. It was in cans, though, which I prefer for adventuring.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.