Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Homers, I need help? Trying to adjust my X.7 rear derailleur to line up with the upper cog (low limit screw) as the chain keeps falling into the spokes. Problem is even when I back out the screw all the way the derailleur is still to close to the spokes? What am I missing. I've been a Shimano guy all my life and this is my first SRAM project (for a backup/winter bike).

I should mention that the frame I am using is pretty old, but I did not have any alignment problems with the Shimano 8 speed stuff that was on there before.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
sperky said:
Fellow Homers, I need help? Trying to adjust my X.7 rear derailleur to line up with the upper cog (low limit screw) as the chain keeps falling into the spokes. Problem is even when I back out the screw all the way the derailleur is still to close to the spokes? What am I missing.
You need to turn the low limit screw IN, not backed out, to keep the chain from falling into the spokes.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,800 Posts
SRAM is also reversed compared to shimano. On shimano the high limit screw is actually the low limit screw on SRAM. So, you have to be sure that you're turning the correct one, rather than just going with whatever you adjusted when you were working on shimano.

Turning limit screws in brings the chain closer to the middle of the cogset. Turning them out brings the chain further from the middle of the cogset (and into the spokes when talking about the low limit).

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
heres a pretty fool proof way sperky:

when ya think ya found yer low limit, turn it back in 1/2 turn, shift up 1 gear to the next smallest cog then back down to the biggest cog again. if it goes into the big cog, repeat. once it skips or makes any noise whatsoever, turn it back out 1/4 turn and re-test the same way till the interference dissapears. you have now reached low limit nirvana! this 1/2 turn in, 1/4 turn out is a great rule of thumb for all limits and tensions for yer derailleurs. you can thank me later.

·
Mr.Secret
643 Posts
Check to make sure the screw isn't broken. I've done that on an XO but they're aluminum. I believe the X9s on down are steel. Still, check that out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it!

Thanks everyone for your help. I was going the wrong way as someone suggested. Just not quite used to the SRAM stuff yet. I'll post a picture of this bike shortly! My homegrown Turner Hardtail (repainted frame with leftover Turner Stickers) to got with my 4" Burner for 24 hour racing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.