Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From doing some looking I know the answer seems to be 1up usually, unfortunately that isn't anywhere near in the budget. My question is how bad off will I be with either the Swagman XTC4 or Hollywood Sport Rider SE4? Ratings on amazon and etrailer seem to be really good. The Swagman has better ratings on here than is appears the Hollywood does. I'm trying to get something to move around between my truck and my wife's equinox so the whole family can go out riding. Long trips will be limited to a couple times a year with everything else being pretty much local. Will these racks get the job done and keep the bikes secure? Thanks all.

I do have my eye on what I believe is a used Thule T2 Classic for sale locally, but am awaiting a reply from the seller. They're asking $500 for that right now.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
That style of rack (hollywood/swagman/transit/xpedit, etc) had been around for a long time. I had a two bike version for 12yrs that was still in great shape when I gave it to my brother about 4yrs ago. I now have a 4 bike "transit" branded one (locking) that I use to haul the families bikes around. The only downside is that when you have cables running along the top tube they will rub the paint.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Looking at the Swagman it only handles up to 35 lbs per bike, which I feel is a little low. I should add in I'll be handling a mix from 20" BMX to 29" MTB and Road.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Yep, I had one for a couple of years that I bought from a buddy that had it for ever. Sold pretty quick too, check used you might find a deal.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I see Kuat racks for sale often on Craigslist/Fb marketplace. Sometimes I'll see a Yakima or Thule. I'd look for a higher end used bike rack first. If that fails...then consider a low end one. I have a Thule T2 Pro XT and love it. My buddy has a Kuat Sherpa and he likes mine better. My other buddy has a 1 up and it's nice for sure but not so nice it's worth as much as he paid...IMO.

Those racks you are looking at don't cost much less than a Kuat or even the Thule that I have. I can't say which is better as I've never messed with a Swagman or Hollywood. The Kuat seems like a nice rack and I see a lot of them on cars. I know my Thule is a nice rack. I've seen a few that resemble the Hollywood and they always looks a bit janky. Might not be the same ones but they look a lot like those.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
The main problem with the Swagman style is it holds the bike by the frame. So you have to be careful not to scratch your top tube. They also move a lot, but that can be fixed with a cheap part from Amazon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ones I mentioned were sub $400, the cheapest Thule I see is the classic at over $800 with the Kuat even more. Is there something that I am missing?

I'm definitely keeping my eye open for something used and hoping this person gets back to me about the Thule T2. I'm also tall, so ride XL bikes; I guess I should keep a close eye on the max wheelbase too.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
csheakos, I have an old 2 bike platform rack from SportRack in the garage that was in near daily use from 1998 to 2018. It was mounted 24x7 for most of the year and still works today. The only reason it was replaced was the need to load 3-4 bikes and deflating plus tires to make them fit was getting old (plus tires fit the newer version). I can't speak specifically about the latest version of it (here), but if it's half the rack the original was, you'll get your money's worth ($200 new). Yes, it does use a frame hook to secure bikes, so you'd need to consider that. Also, the tire hoop design has changed, so I'd want to review how well they work. But based on my past experience with the product, it would be at the top of my list for considering a reasonably priced rack.

The original was near 100% steel (plastic only on a couple of knobs). Not sure about the newest version. But the fact that is was all metallic definitely contributed it to its long life, and was why I chose a 1up to replace it... no plastic (except for the 'Gold Bar Knob', which I never use)!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Ahh OK... good observation.. 33lbs is not that much per bike... :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright,

Let me add one more in to the mix. I can get either of the two above or the Yakima FourTimer all for the same price. Downfall to the Yak is it only handles up to 48" wheelbase.

I got a response on the used Thule (T2 Classic I think) which is only $20 more than the others listed above. Again, it only handles up to 48" wheel base, not sure if I'm making too big a deal about that. Looking at a new bike soon hopefully and it appears many are in the 48-51" range. Will it still work?

Hoping to pull the trigger on something tonight or tomorrow. What would be my best bet of the four?

·
The Original Suspect
2,387 Posts
Where are you getting your prices? A new T2 classic is less than $500 usd and can be had on Craig'slist for far less. Kuat NV 2.0 retail for $649.

That being said, I don't have experience with the Swagman or Hollywood but I agree with the others that a used higher end rack is probably your best bet. Stay away from Yakima Hold-up and Hold-up evo! way too many problems and moving parts and plastic.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw that Pro XT handles the longer wheelbase, but I don't think the used one is a Pro.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.