Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the issue - My 52 year old brother saw my new Burner build last week and said "I want one" (of course) but when I told him it would put over a $3k dent in his check book he balked. He's not a big rider but wants to get into riding again for fitness and fun. It would be good to ride with him again after about 20 years. There's a nice looking O2 frame out there I have my eye on and I have a few spare parts lying around. if I can pick up the O2 frame for say $350 to $500, I would like to build him a bike that comes out at around a grand. This is a challenge I know for you Homers, and maybe even sacreligeous on this forum, but can we come up with a solid but inexpensive build? I think the O2 with the stock 3.1" rockers can get him all the travel he needs. He won't be riding anything too hard core, just nice XC terrain.
My existing parts to go on this bike are:

Large O2 frame (hopefully)
Hayes Comp discs (got the set for $100)
2004 Psylo Sl (off my old O2 - value at $100)
Mavic 223 rims with Deore Hubs (thanks to MTbikerX value $50, but No Charge under the friends and family discount)
Easton EA50 bars (no charge)
Shimano 424 pedals (no charge)

So basically I'm needing cranks, front and rear derailleurs, seat post, stem and saddle for about $400 - $500. Thoughts?

My initial idea is Shimano XT 752 cranks and BB or Race Face Deus
XT level derailleurs and shifters or SRAM X7s
Easton EA 50 stem and post
RF headset.

Ideas are welcome. Can it be done?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Why won't you get him that $800 Stinger from the denver craigslist classifieds?

_MK

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MK_ said:
Why won't you get him that $800 Stinger from the denver craigslist classifieds?

_MK
I'm not a fan of the mac strut design having come off the Jamis, plus I like the idea of building it myself, not inheriting someone else's problems or beat up parts (other than my beat up parts of course. :p )

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
there's no shame in building a Turner frame with inexpensive parts. don't get caught up in the bling mentality. I'd look for some 2003 Hollowtech LX cranksets, use Deore derailleurs, etc. decent wheels don't need King hubs. I've used Deore disc hubs on several wheels and they work fine. you don't have to go ape-shyte to make a nice, functional, sensible but top-tier designed bike.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
definatelly search used parts. Slightly used XT rear der can be had for $40, new XT front der I found at superho for $16, 04 models. LX crank can be had for ~$70 from superho or performance. Used RF Turbines for around a $100. Wayless makes "sweet" seatposts and they go for ~$5 on the clearance, handlebars around $8, low/hirise, carbon for ~30. Stems $4 or $8 for "hi end" wayless. Low end WTB saddle, another $20, used, $10. I built a complete bike for my girlfriend for $500, XT/XTR mix, hand built wheels, 517s on xt hubs, etc. Granted I had a frame and brakes, grips, tires, tubes, other small parts, everything else I bought.

_MK

·
Registered
72 Posts
a Turner on a Budget?

As a newly married man I can understand the strange concept of owning a Turner on a budget. I've been looking for bits at swap meets and even a few used bits on eBay. The now all-too-rare new bit comes from the LBS; who has always been good to me, by selling me last years model of what ever as silly low prices.

There no shame in used parts or "last year" model parts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
lx?

MK_ said:
definatelly search used parts. Slightly used XT rear der can be had for $40, new XT front der I found at superho for $16, 04 models. LX crank can be had for ~$70 from superho or performance. Used RF Turbines for around a $100. Wayless makes "sweet" seatposts and they go for ~$5 on the clearance, handlebars around $8, low/hirise, carbon for ~30. Stems $4 or $8 for "hi end" wayless. Low end WTB saddle, another $20, used, $10. I built a complete bike for my girlfriend for $500, XT/XTR mix, hand built wheels, 517s on xt hubs, etc. Granted I had a frame and brakes, grips, tires, tubes, other small parts, everything else I bought.

_MK
not too many people going for this, but you might be able to find a cheap new lx gruppo for the price you are looking at

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
I second the LX and/or deore kit. Cheap, reliable, does the job quite well.

Let's face it, if he isn't a serious rider, he won't give a rats arse what's on it. If he becomes more interested, the first thing he'll do is upgrade anything and everything regardless what goes on the bike now. It's just how we are.

Save the biggest whack of the budget for a good affordable fork. He'll appreciate that more than any other component. For example, '04 Zokes are selling for a song.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
it seems to me that these posts carry a strong underlying notion that a Turner frame "deserves" what most would call "high end parts"

this is the "bling" slavery I referred to in my post above.

your Turner frame doesn't know the difference between a FSA Pig headset and a Chris King. likewise it won't ride poorly if you use Deore Hubs and not Chris King. and for sure you don't have to run the latest and greatest supermaxilightcarbonunobtainium handlebar, stem, seatpost, etc.

a bike isn't anything on its own, no matter how well set up. and having more expensive or more "prestigious" or "exclusive" parts doesn't make your bike better, nor does it make the rider better.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
gonzostrike said:
A bike isn't anything on its own, no matter how well set up. and having more expensive or more "prestigious" or "exclusive" parts doesn't make your bike better, nor does it make the rider better.
This is a very delicate line you're walking on with that statement ;). While I can agree that some components do not need to be from the upper shelf, others certainly make a difference. For example, a difference between say a RST fork and a good Zoke (or even a bad one) is tromendous, even between say SSV dampened fork and HSCV. For the big bucks you get crisper shifting, faster rolling wheels, grippier tires, etc. It is true, however, that the more high end you go, your bang for the buck diminishes exponentially. I thing that the rule of thumb for cutthroat is in the famous words of Keith Bontrager, "Reliable, light weight, inexpensive, pick two".

_MK

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
MK_ said:
This is a very delicate line you're walking on with that statement ;). While I can agree that some components do not need to be from the upper shelf, others certainly make a difference. For example, a difference between say a RST fork and a good Zoke (or even a bad one) is tromendous, even between say SSV dampened fork and HSCV. For the big bucks you get crisper shifting, faster rolling wheels, grippier tires, etc. It is true, however, that the more high end you go, your bang for the buck diminishes exponentially. I thing that the rule of thumb for cutthroat is in the famous words of Keith Bontrager, "Reliable, light weight, inexpensive, pick two".

_MK
I guess I didn't make clear my assumption that you would not choose inferior function merely to save money. I was trying to imply that function is foremost and that solid function can be found at very cheap prices if you aren't seeking prestige. I should add that with this baseline assumption, the increase in price generally is providing only lighter weight, which may or may not be good. for a bigger rider, probably not good unless the part in question is heavier AND weaker, which would be bad of course.

natch I wouldn't urge using an SSV or SSVF damped fork, as that would run counter to the quality suspension design in the Turner frame. this is where looking at NOS forks from '03 or even '02 can be helpful. eBay etc.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Look at the blow-outs

Places like Jenson and Pricepoint are always blowing out Ritchey and Bontrager stuff (seatposts, stems, h-bars, etc) for a song. Pricepoint also has their Sette stuff, nice stuff, pretty cheap.

Have to second (third, fourth??) the LX gruppo. Very solid and much less expensive than XT/XTR and you should be able to get a complete group, including wheels and disc brakes.

Get a good comfortable saddle and above all, make sure the bike fits him. Suspension performance and nice parts are completely moot if he isn't comfortable on the bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
price point kit

coolhandluchs said:
Places like Jenson and Pricepoint are always blowing out Ritchey and Bontrager stuff (seatposts, stems, h-bars, etc) for a song. Pricepoint also has their Sette stuff, nice stuff, pretty cheap.

Have to second (third, fourth??) the LX gruppo. Very solid and much less expensive than XT/XTR and you should be able to get a complete group, including wheels and disc brakes.

Get a good comfortable saddle and above all, make sure the bike fits him. Suspension performance and nice parts are completely moot if he isn't comfortable on the bike.
Price point is selling a complete lx group for 570 coconuts.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
gonzostrike said:
there's no shame in building a Turner frame with inexpensive parts. don't get caught up in the bling mentality. I'd look for some 2003 Hollowtech LX cranksets, use Deore derailleurs, etc. decent wheels don't need King hubs. I've used Deore disc hubs on several wheels and they work fine. you don't have to go ape-shyte to make a nice, functional, sensible but top-tier designed bike.
Agree with Gonzo. When I got my spot, I couldn't afford all the bling that I wanted. I ended up with onyx hubs, LX cranks and shifters. The bike rode just fine. It was a bit heavier than I wanted, but the weight didn't bother me al all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.