Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build up a low-buck set of competent 29er wheels on a pair of M475 hubs I have lying around.

I've got two options for rims right now, Alex DH22's (16mm wide) and Alex DM18's (18mm wide).

Going to be laced 32 3x, for XC use only, I'm 250lbs.

I'm leaning towards the wider DM18's over the skinnier but deeper profile DH22's.

Wadda Y'All think?
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
17,248 Posts
thecrazyfinn said:
I'm looking to build up a low-buck set of competent 29er wheels on a pair of M475 hubs I have lying around.

I've got two options for rims right now, Alex DH22's (16mm wide) and Alex DM18's (18mm wide).

Going to be laced 32 3x, for XC use only, I'm 250lbs.

I'm leaning towards the wider DM18's over the skinnier but deeper profile DH22's.

Wadda Y'All think?
I have ZERO experience riding either, and I've only built a pair of each.

That said, at 250lbs and lacing them 32h I think they aren't enough rim for you. They can be ~evenly tensioned but they're still pretty soft when 'done'.

I'd look for a set of Halo Freedom Disc or WTB DDFR rims--they'll be burly enough for you even in 32h.

Good luck.

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but that's the kind I ask. If I want to build a 29er wheel set do I need a 29 specific hub? I have a set of hubs I love and would like to build them for the 29.

I too am also looking for strong affordable 29 wheel options....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mbh1013 said:
This may be a stupid question, but that's the kind I ask. If I want to build a 29er wheel set do I need a 29 specific hub? I have a set of hubs I love and would like to build them for the 29.

I too am also looking for strong affordable 29 wheel options....
No, a 29er wheel is nothing more than a 700c rim laced to standard MTB hubs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
Listen to MikeSee

Forget Alex rims if you are a heavyweight. Alex rims aren't even that good in 26".

You want either the Sun RhynoLite or the WTB DDFR. 32 or 36h. DDFR would be my first choice, though I own a set of the Rhynos. They have been bombproof for me, and I weigh 250#. The Rhynos are cheap, too.

Take Mike's advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TLL said:
Forget Alex rims if you are a heavyweight. Alex rims aren't even that good in 26".

You want either the Sun RhynoLite or the WTB DDFR. 32 or 36h. DDFR would be my first choice, though I own a set of the Rhynos. They have been bombproof for me, and I weigh 250#. The Rhynos are cheap, too.

Take Mike's advice.
Thanks, I can get RynoLites for close to the same price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mikesee said:
I have ZERO experience riding either, and I've only built a pair of each.

That said, at 250lbs and lacing them 32h I think they aren't enough rim for you. They can be ~evenly tensioned but they're still pretty soft when 'done'.

I'd look for a set of Halo Freedom Disc or WTB DDFR rims--they'll be burly enough for you even in 32h.

Good luck.

MC
Thanks for the info, looks like I'm gonna skip the Alex's and get RhynoLites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I've had great luck with Alex TD17's. I haven't had to true them in over 2 years and I've really beat the hell out of them. Built with 14/15 DT's and alloy nips.

I'm ~195lbs and ride techy east coast stuff with reasonably smooth form and a bit of the occasional plow technique.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top