Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months back I posted a thread on feeling burnt out... I took some time off and it helped a little, but I'm still feeling rather crappy... Lately, even after a decent night's sleep I wake up exhausted and I can't for the life of me stay at a good feeling of temperature. I'm either way cold of way warm.

I started looking online and one source suggested that a body temp below 97.6 could be indicative of low adrenal function or hypothyroidism. I'm around 95-96 most days, but have been that way for years... I've basically stopped my training for now because I just don't have the energy to do it, plus I'll feel completely exhausted afterwards...

Dumb question, but what is your temp and is there anyone with a low temp that feels great?
 

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
Fairly Low...

I've always been in the 97.0 range. I guess I feel "great", meaning I've never noticed a change in energy level.

I always feel hot in other people's house/car. I'm usually tired in the AM which I attributed to just not being a morning person. If it is a sign of a medical issue, then I have had the problem since I was a kid....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
used2Bhard said:
I've always been in the 97.0 range. I guess I feel "great", meaning I've never noticed a change in energy level.

I always feel hot in other people's house/car. I'm usually tired in the AM which I attributed to just not being a morning person. If it is a sign of a medical issue, then I have had the problem since I was a kid....
Thanks, I guess I should clarify... by hot or cold, I am sitting in a warm room right now and my hands are so cold if I touch someone's face it feels like I've been holding ice cubes. Other times they'll be the opposite to the hot side.

I'm tired in the morning normally as well, I think we all are, but I've never felt this tired... feeling like I could fall asleep at any moment.. I have a good breakfast and am tired all morning, but once I have lunch I feel good... strangest thing and it's driving me crazy...

My doctor tested for mono, I was negative, but 2 of the 3 antibodies to fight mono were astronomically high... Anyone has these antibodies if you've ever had mono before, but usually they aren't so high...

It's bumming me out... I can handle if someone says "rest for 3 months" and you'll be fine... I just don't want to waste a whole season feeling this drained, I don't even have the motivation to ride right now because I'm so tired and I've actually been taking it easy for a couple months... the doctor wasn't much help, just told me to progress gradually in training and don't go out and overdo it and expect to be fine...
 

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
ouch

That sounds pretty bad. 10 years ago I had a bout of bronchitis that turned into three months of having annoying colds and being exhausted. When I went to the doctor he said that I had Mono and was just recovering. The antibodies were extremely high for me when he took the blood test. I thought it was odd that I didn't experience the 24 hour a day Prince Valium sleeping thing. He said my immune system was stong enough to battle the Mono, but it was so weakened that i was succeptable to other bugs. I think it took another couple months to feel normal again.... 6 months of crap!

I remember my Lymph nodes on the back of my neck were very swollen, and that was the tip off. To this day whenever I am extremely sleep deprived and my immune system is down a bit the swelling comes back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
used2Bhard said:
I remember my Lymph nodes on the back of my neck were very swollen, and that was the tip off. To this day whenever I am extremely sleep deprived and my immune system is down a bit the swelling comes back.
Interesting... you confirm what the doctor said... not having mono presently, but the body reacting like it has it... Some doctors believe those markers are a good indicator of chronic fatigue, while others think that's not true...

I never remember having mono, but the antibodies are present, very high, and I'm tired as heck...

Thanks for your info...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Thyroid

It sounds like you have the symptoms of Hypo-Thyroidism.

Check it out--if your thyroid count is low your metabolism slows down. You feel tired all the time. You are cold even in a warm room with a sweater on. You can gain weight easily.

I have this thyroid problem right now, and it's a pain to fiz. You doctor will give you some Thyroid hormone to take to get your Thyroid count back up, but it takes a while to stabilize your levels. All it all, if it was a virus that knocked out your thyroid, it takes about 10-14 months to get everything back to normal. But with the right meds you'll start feeling way better in no time.

My thyroid count was so low over the summer that I collapsed for 20 min after a mtb race in late June. I simply could not move. I wasn't overy fatigued, just unbelievably tired. It took a good 2 weeks after that to have my blood tested and get the Thyroid hormone in my system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EpicriderGMAC said:
It sounds like you have the symptoms of Hypo-Thyroidism.

Check it out--if your thyroid count is low your metabolism slows down. You feel tired all the time. You are cold even in a warm room with a sweater on. You can gain weight easily.

I have this thyroid problem right now, and it's a pain to fiz. You doctor will give you some Thyroid hormone to take to get your Thyroid count back up, but it takes a while to stabilize your levels. All it all, if it was a virus that knocked out your thyroid, it takes about 10-14 months to get everything back to normal. But with the right meds you'll start feeling way better in no time.

My thyroid count was so low over the summer that I collapsed for 20 min after a mtb race in late June. I simply could not move. I wasn't overy fatigued, just unbelievably tired. It took a good 2 weeks after that to have my blood tested and get the Thyroid hormone in my system.
Interesting.. that sounds exactly how I'm feeling.. It's not normal to feel this thrashed for this long... I just called the doctor to have that tested this afternoon, doctors have to love the internet and people self-diagnosing..

If it is low and the doctor recommends hormones, will it return to normal again on it's own in the future?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,153 Posts
Good Luck STS

SpareTireScott said:
Interesting.. that sounds exactly how I'm feeling.. It's not normal to feel this thrashed for this long... I just called the doctor to have that tested this afternoon, doctors have to love the internet and people self-diagnosing..

If it is low and the doctor recommends hormones, will it return to normal again on it's own in the future?
Dude,

I feel your pain - and hope you figure it out. I had a very similar ailment this time last year. It lasted almost 5 months, and finally tapered off by itself. I had 5 blood tests, 2 MRI's and a CT scan - but we never figured it out. I was mis-diagnosed with a brain tumor, migraines and chronic fatique (at different times, not all at once!) - we finally ended up focusing on viral stuff, not thyroid issues. Do you have any other symtoms - nausea, headaches, shaky/weakness?

Sure wish this thread was here a year ago...

Take care, IRMB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imridingmybike said:
Dude,

I feel your pain - and hope you figure it out. I had a very similar ailment this time last year. It lasted almost 5 months, and finally tapered off by itself. I had 5 blood tests, 2 MRI's and a CT scan - but we never figured it out. I was mis-diagnosed with a brain tumor, migraines and chronic fatique (at different times, not all at once!) - we finally ended up focusing on viral stuff, not thyroid issues. Do you have any other symtoms - nausea, headaches, shaky/weakness?

Sure wish this thread was here a year ago...

Take care, IRMB
Thyroid checked out ok.. blood sugar is ok...

Here are symptoms I have/had:
fingers and legs went numb and tingling
cold sweats
nausea, especially if I was hungry
headaches and near passing out when hungry
hands so cold it feels like I was holding ice cubes when I touch you
extremely low energy, feel like my spirit is gone
unrefreshing sleep (sleep for 12 hours and still feel tired)
waking up a lot and not getting back to sleep, even on normal sleep nights
extremely low body temps (down to 94.5 at times)
get very hot when I workout even a little

Since posting originally I'm starting to feel a little better, but only daily energy and not working out energy. I still get gassed very quick when working out, and it's only been low intensity.

What I've done so far:
* 2 weeks of about 12 hours of sleep a night - tough to do, but it made me feel best and at least I don't feel like I'll fall asleep at any moment anymore, I found my body temp went up to 98.0 when I did that...

* Only doing mild exercise, if at all... 2 weeks ago I didn't have the energy to do much of anything, so working out mildly is a big plus

* Doing yoga probably 3 times a week

* Quit drinking any and all caffeine, bummer since I love coffee

* Started eating only all natural, unprocessed foods AND taking a couple of multivitamins - I eat healthy anyway, but I'm probably eating at least 7 servings of fruit a day now. So I shouldn't need the vitamin with it, but if I don't have the vitamin I feel like crap again (the vitamin doesn't have iron, so it can't be anemia)

* I might add acupuncture and more red meat next..

Overall I'm frustrated as hell... probably 5 different people have told me the exact same symptoms now, they all went back and forth to the doctor for months, never found a thing, and finally just started feeling better... I hate downtime like this...
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
SpareTireScott said:
Thanks, I guess I should clarify... by hot or cold, I am sitting in a warm room right now and my hands are so cold if I touch someone's face it feels like I've been holding ice cubes. Other times they'll be the opposite to the hot side.

I'm tired in the morning normally as well, I think we all are, but I've never felt this tired... feeling like I could fall asleep at any moment.. I have a good breakfast and am tired all morning, but once I have lunch I feel good... strangest thing and it's driving me crazy...

My doctor tested for mono, I was negative, but 2 of the 3 antibodies to fight mono were astronomically high... Anyone has these antibodies if you've ever had mono before, but usually they aren't so high...

It's bumming me out... I can handle if someone says "rest for 3 months" and you'll be fine... I just don't want to waste a whole season feeling this drained, I don't even have the motivation to ride right now because I'm so tired and I've actually been taking it easy for a couple months... the doctor wasn't much help, just told me to progress gradually in training and don't go out and overdo it and expect to be fine...
are you eating enough? and is your body fat percentage high enough to keep you healthy?

i felt similarly a while back and was tested for a variety of issues all of which came back normal. it looked like i might be borderline anemic but not enough to really affect my functioning.

eventually i saw a sports nutritionist who pointed out that my daily caloric intake was so low that my metabolism had shut down. although it seems obvious, it simply never occurred to me that with my increased training (i had started working with a coach that year and substantially stepped up my riding hours) i would also need to increase my caloric intake.

i don't know what my normal body temperature is but i think it's somewhere in the 98* range so it is not low. on the other hand i do experience the very cold/very hot swings you describe. there are times when my hands & feet get so hot that i can't stand being near myself! it mostly happens at night for reasons that are a complete mystery to me.

the temp swings i have seem to correspond to when my body fat is very low. for example, they were much worse last summer during the race season when i was at 10% (i'm female) than they are now (guessing i'm somewhere around 15%).

one other thing i did was i went to Whole Foods and bought an adrenal supplement. it seemed to really boost my energy. i don't know if it was a placebo effect or if it really was doing something but it really seemed to help.

rt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Do you know your white blood counts?

Have you had a glucose tolerance test?

Does your heart rate increase dramatically when you get up or during normal activity? Do you experience any shortness of breath?

Have you seen an endocrinologist? This could help since they are specialist at diagnosing hormone related problems if that is the problem.

With athletes it sometimes hard to diagnose problems since most doc's are not familiar with what is normal for an athlete.

Don't be afraid to be your own advocate when dealing with the medical community, if one doc can't find the problem, go to another one. Some doc out there will say I know what your problem is, the problem is finding that doc.

Good luck, keep us informed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Homer Simpson said:
Do you know your white blood counts?

Have you had a glucose tolerance test?

Does your heart rate increase dramatically when you get up or during normal activity? Do you experience any shortness of breath?

Have you seen an endocrinologist? This could help since they are specialist at diagnosing hormone related problems if that is the problem.
*rt*:
I think I'm eating enough, especially in the last few weeks. I haven't trained at all, I could hardly get motivated to move, much less work out... Right now I'm 8 lbs. above race weight, so I'm not super thin. But it is noted, often metabolism does decrease when you don't eat enough.

Which adrenal supplement did you buy?

Homer:
I don't know the white blood cells or done a glucose tolerance. I should do that. What do they do for glucose tolerance? I should probably just ask for a full blood test...

Only shortness of breath if I do something really strenuous, and that's probably expected since my anaerobic capacity has to be gone by now.

My heart rate has gone from 56 walking around to 76 walking around, but I'd attribute that to little to no training as well...

When I get up or do normal activity I don't think my heart rate changes at all... Honestly I've been so bla that someone could probably chop my hand off and I'd just sit there and look at it, too tired to get worked up, and too listless to care... my "fight or flight" has changed to "sit and watch"...

Maybe an endocrinologist is my next step. Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it!
 

·
i worship Mr T
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
SpareTireScott said:
*rt*:
I think I'm eating enough, especially in the last few weeks. I haven't trained at all, I could hardly get motivated to move, much less work out... Right now I'm 8 lbs. above race weight, so I'm not super thin. But it is noted, often metabolism does decrease when you don't eat enough.

Which adrenal supplement did you buy?
i can't remember which one it was but it came in a white bottle with a blue & white lable. i still have some at home though i haven't taken it since probably July. i'll check tonight to see what it is.

about the change in your HR (from 56 to 76): do you take your resting HR every day? (first thing in the am right after you wake up.....well, i usually waited until my HR came down from being scared into alertness by the alarm clock). a big change in my RHR is usually an indication that i am sick or fighting something off. when i'm overtrained my HR drops and i can't get it up, but when i'm sick it shoots up and just walking around pushes my HR up over 100 bpm (from resting HR of ~45).

also, do you have a sports science or sports med (not just orthopedic) clinic near you? if you live near a university it is likely that they will have a sports science program and might also have a clinic. i find that going someplace where the staff is accustomed to dealing with athletes really helps. i had a great sports med clinic where i used to live but have not found one in the city i've been living in for the last 3 years.

rt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
For a glucose tolerance test you will have to fast for a while and sit in the doc's office for about 4-5 hours. Take a good book or mag or video game.

They will take a fasting glucose level (generally no eating after midnight) then have you drink this horribly sweet drink (about 100g of glucose I think). Then at various intervals your finger will be pricked for blood to determine the glucose level. Normally the times are 30, 60, 120,180 and sometimes 240 minutes post drink. Some doc's will also do a glucose at 90 minutes. Fingers can get kinda sore. For a normal person the glucose level will not rise much above normal upper limit (say 110 to 200) and will return to normal within 1 hour. For a diabetic it will go up (probably over 200) and not return to normal as fast (it will remain elevated past the 1 hour mark). Also on the diabetes front: do you have excessive thirst or urinate alot? How long does it take for a wound to heal, diabetics take longer to heal than normal. These are things to tell the doc if you have them. I'm not trying to scare you, just provide you with some info so you can get back to your old self.

Also have you changed anything in your life in the recent past? Diet, pet, soap, etc? Any mold in your house?

Keep a daily log of how you feel if you don't get better soon. This can help you spot trends in how you feel. Good or bad on certain days or at certain times of the day. Track what you eat and how you feel later after eating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Homer Simpson said:
Also have you changed anything in your life in the recent past? Diet, pet, soap, etc? Any mold in your house?

Keep a daily log of how you feel if you don't get better soon. This can help you spot trends in how you feel. Good or bad on certain days or at certain times of the day. Track what you eat and how you feel later after eating.
*rt*:
Thanks I'll go to Whole Foods tonight.

My doctor is actually a sports med doctor, he is usually pretty good with stuff I go in for, and I've felt fortunate to have found him in the past. I think his impression is that I'm overtrained and chronically fatigued... True, I did overtrain and burn out in late July, then did a 10 hour mountain bike race in that state, but I've done nothing since...

I don't take my RHR every day.. I should, but can never remember when I wake up...

Homer:
No excessive thirst... When I get cold I urinate more often, so at the peak of feeling terrible, when I was freezing in warm rooms and having cold sweats it seemed like I had to more, but that's gone away too and seems normal again... I had that initial concern as well... I think a glucose intolerance test on an empty stomach would leave me feeling rather lightheaded... I've actually used a diabetic friend's glucose tester before and my blood sugar levels were at the very low end... Wounds have actually been healing faster than they ever have, which is strange...

On the issue of mold, my house is clean and I haven't changed anything, but the air ducts at work suck. Every time the fans come on people sneeze and cough. It's not visibly dirty or anything and I don't know what I could do about that.. But that's been that way for 3 years now...

I'll work on the daily log, I've sort of been doing that already since this has lingered so long... I need to write down the symptoms and how I feel day to day and go back to the doc, rather than just going in and saying I am so tired and cold...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top