Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Not smart enough to shift
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Nomad looks fantastic on paper. So this is grade A arm-chair engineering...

If SC took what they learned on the Nomad, and updated current models, or introduced a new one(s) with the tech. I'd plunk down the $ tomorrow on a mid travel Tallboy with these updates. I have a first gen Tallboy with a 130 fork, and still love it after over three years of flogging. That being said, a 120ish mm version with ~17" chain stays, some internal routing, a 130-140mm fork, and keep the wheelbase short (~44" on a large) would be my unicorn.

Come on SC, grant me thy mythical beast.

Cheers,
-A

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is what I would bet on seeing in the next 6 months.

- 27.5 Chameleon (not Highball)
- 27.5 SP based on new Nomad geo (Bullet V27.2?)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I completely second the vote for a new bullit with 27.5"

I want to change out from my current Butcher and 03' Bullit to a new bantam and if they would make it a 27.5" bullit....

I love the single pivots....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If SC took what they learned on the Nomad, and updated current models, or introduced a new one(s) with the tech. I'd plunk down the $ tomorrow on a mid travel Tallboy with these updates. I have a first gen Tallboy with a 130 fork, and still love it after over three years of flogging. That being said, a 120ish mm version with ~17" chain stays, some internal routing, a 130-140mm fork, and keep the wheelbase short (~44" on a large) would be my unicorn.
I second this... I think there are many people that would go for a mid travel Tallboy C. I would like to see the chainstays at 17 or less, for sure: internal routing that will accommodate the whole cable as the new Intense 27.5 has. Head tube angle for a mid 29er I think 69 would suffice. (Side note: They could then take the LTC to 68 where it should be with some internal routing as well) I would like to see a 130-140mm Pike on this thing. Heck, Rockshox has a 120mm Pike they are putting on the specialized camber carbon expert evo stock. So how about rear travel, maybe 120mm of rear travel?

Then a really mean looking paint scheme on it. Hopefully not one of these goofy florescent colors they have painting their bikes with. The current colors remind me of the more affordable iPhone 5. I'm sure they will offer the classic matte finish that is always nice looking. Anyway to make a long story short: Santa Cruz bring on the Tallboy medium travel 29er, make it fast, make it quick, there is a market for it.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
303 Posts
Why do you think that 17" or less chainstays can be accomplished on a VPP bike? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only think of one FS 29er that meets this criteria (Devinci Atlas).

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Why do you think that 17" or less chainstays can be accomplished on a VPP bike? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only think of one FS 29er that meets this criteria (Devinci Atlas).
Ah grasshoppa there is another, Spec. Enduro Carbon 430mm (16.92inches) chainstays. Why would you think that SC could not build Tallboy TR version with 17in or less CS? Heck, the Solo has 17.1 inch chainstays already. Or shall I say the 5010, lol...

BY the way, why is that davinci rear triangle not full carbon? They call the Atlas their carbon bike but its not full on carbon.:nono: Lol...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ah grasshoppa there is another, Spec. Enduro Carbon 430mm (16.92inches) chainstays. Why would you think that SC could not build Tallboy TR version with 17in or less CS? Heck, the Solo has 17.1 inch chainstays already. Or shall I say the 5010, lol...

BY the way, why is that davinci rear triangle not full carbon? They call the Atlas their carbon bike but its not full on carbon.:nono: Lol...
I think the obvious answer to why SC can't make a TB with chainstays shorter than 17" is that the tb is a 29er and the 5010 is 27.5 and has a cs length over 17", even the new nomad is over 17 and it looks like they were trying to make the cs as shert as possible.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Santa cruz have all the I bases covered already. You could argue that they need a 27.5 Full Sus XC bike but most people that ride and race XC do so on 29ers and that's what the Tallboy is

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Why would you think that SC could not build Tallboy TR version with 17in or less CS? Heck, the Solo has 17.1 inch chainstays already. Or shall I say the 5010, lol...
Well, let's see...

1) SC has yet to build a FS 29er with 17" chainstays (Superlight & Tallboy @ 17.5", Tallboy LT @ 17.7"). So, history alone makes me question if it's possible.

2) You just offered up an example of a SC bike that doesn't meet your criteria, and it's a 27.5, which should be easier to design for short chainstays.

So in other words, don't hold your breath for that 17" chainstay SC 29er.

·
Not smart enough to shift
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good banter ya'll.

I should clarify, while sub 17" chainstays would be fun (I'm sure), I'd be more than happy with anything close to the current TB. At 17.5", I don't think they feel cumbersome, even when going back and forth from my Black Cat with 16.5" stays. I do think they could shrink them a smidge based on the new tech they used on the Nomad.

We're picking nits here, which is a good thing. If SC keeps cranking out these bikes that are raising the bar, I'll continue to be a die-hard SC fan.

Cheers,
-A

1 - 14 of 14 Posts