Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the saying from The Path Podcast. It seem I, like many of us, suffer from bike/gear acquisition syndrome. How do you remedy the sickness and love what you got without feeling you need the next newest and greatest thing?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Go ride. For me, finding a new place with great trails always gets me stoked. This of course is coming from someone who's last purchase for his bike was two days ago. But in my defense I once rode the same bike for 10 years without changing anything on it. Any time I fell into a rut, what pulled me out of it was a great ride somewhere new or a place I hadn't been in a while.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
After going through the learning process of what bikes/trails I ride, I love my current bikes, my stable is perfect. It will probably get one more addition in the near future, but just because I love bikes. I'm more bummed about this year's riding, but I will catch up.

Gotta dig your rigs.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,186 Posts
I'm plenty happy with my bikes (newest is a ~2014 model).

When it is not raining constantly (as has been the case the last couple years) I can hit some trails and spread the bike love by riding 2-3 different bikes each week... Soma Gravel/CX commuter, rigid SS and carbon FS.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) is a sickness and it's not just a bike thing. I've played guitar in a band for years and frequent a guitar forum where people discuss this sickness too (guitars, amps, effects pedals, etc).

For me it's simple, I'm always happy when I ride my bike or play my guitar. I recommend anyone with GAS try this.

·
slow
7,686 Posts
Aside from my participation in this forum, my exposure to the "newest and greatest" is extremely limited. I don't visit cycling websites, read cycling magazines, or browse bike shops. I have lots of friends on the latest and greatest, but I don't pay attention to what they are riding and zone out during post-ride discussions about equipment. I'll usually demo a bike or two when the demo truck passes through town, but usually it is to keep wear and tear off my own bikes for a day.

My satisfaction doesn't come from impressing anyone with my gear. Any pride I have in this sport comes from riding skill and conditioning, so I prefer to follow the advice given by the great Eddy Mercx: "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades."

·
Registered
513 Posts
I bought 3 brand new bikes this month and I'm still not happy... what's going on?

*Edit*

No, not really. But I do buy little things for my bike(s) every so often. It seems like I've developed a sort of "upgrades conscience", meaning if it's a good buy that serves a good purpose, I feel good about it. But if it's unnecessary and/or overly extravagant, I feel a little sick about it.

So I just try to follow the light of my conscience. Sometimes that line does get a bit blurred.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've still got plenty to learn about how my bike will behave in off camber moondusted hardpack... there are so many variables, body position, bike lean, speed, surface angle, etc. etc. The bike often whispers to me "just push a bit more, wheee!" and I have to know when this is a dumb idea. It's hard for me to imagine ever wanting to switch bikes regularly, unless I do as I think I probably should, and chill the f out when I ride.

After a few years though, in my case a couple decades, that steed you know so well may need to be retired.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,554 Posts
...How do you remedy the sickness and love what you got without feeling you need the next newest and greatest thing?
I'm more logical than emotional/impulsive. I've seen enough people buy really nice bikes that did not improve their riding at all.

That said, I still want a new frame. :lol:

-F

·
Registered
763 Posts
It’s pretty satisfying to continue getting faster and faster on the same bike. I get newshititis bad sometimes but it never strikes right after slaying some segment of trail on the same bike I’ve been on for 4 seasons now. So my temporary solution is to just ride what I’ve got enough to progress due to my improving fitness and skill. That seems to take care of it.

Until it doesn’t.

·
Administrator
11,802 Posts
I found the perfect solution to this is to buy a bike that it competent but not at all current. I have no suspension travel, but have fat tires, slack geometry, and capable components and such, including dropper post. The great thing about the progression of the mountain bike is the progression of the trail. Each year new trails get more and more difficult for me and instead of buying a bike that can handle the trails I just work on cleaning them on my bike. There is nothing, tires aside, that would make my bike better and conquering trails and buying a new bike would seem like failure to me now.

If you suffer from GAS I suggest going and buying something that isn't what you desire but something that is different than what you have. Get a single speed, get a rigid bike, get a unicycle. Ride your usual trails. The joy you get from learning to do things differently will far outlast the joy of a new bauble. I still haven't stopped enjoying the thrill of a rigid bike on trails and have been doing so since I got my first Salsa El Mariachi 10+ years ago. Heartily recommend this one last purchase then just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
479 Posts
After going through the learning process of what bikes/trails I ride, I love my current bikes, my stable is perfect. It will probably get one more addition in the near future, but just because I love bikes. I'm more bummed about this year's riding, but I will catch up.

Gotta dig your rigs.
True that. I recently downsized, selling off several bikes to fund the purchase of my Cosmic Stallion. I wasn't all too impressed with it until this past weekend when I had to reinstall the front tire. In doing so I noticed the front caliper wasn't properly centered. So I looked up SRAM's instructions, recentered the front caliper and wow, what a difference. Point is, it is definitely worth the effort to fine tune your ride. The new wheels on the MMD are the bomb now that I have the tire pressures dialed in and they've stopped seeping.

Like you, my stable suits the different types of I rides I like to do. At the moment, I'm seriously considering a SS 29'er. The Nature Boy is great but I'd like a little more tire to really go fast on the single track.

·
Registered
11,916 Posts
Some people enjoy riding bikes, some people enjoy spending money.
This.

Never even remotely confuse or conflate the act of buying **** with actually mountain biking.

Then develop a healthy sense of shame about being more of a shopper than a rider and do something about it.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,079 Posts
1. Go race or watch a race in person. Yes, there are a lot of riders on the newest gear. And there are a lot of riders on older gear who podium. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, its the amount of fight in the dog (I'm paraphrasing).

2. Buy a new pair of (cycling) socks. Read about this years ago and have tons of socks to prove it works. Something wonderful about riding in new socks. New socks are truly a god-send if you are participating in a 24hr race. Change your socks when you are dreading going back out for another lap.

3. Volunteer. Trail building/maintenance, hand out water at a race, or participate in the local club's calendard of events. You'd be amazed at how many really cool people define their ride experience by giving back, meeting new people, and supporting the sport--and don't give a hoot about 151mm new-boost spacing.

·
MTB guide
47 Posts
I might be unusual, but I do love the bikes I own and don't think about new bikes before I need to replace an old/broken bike. I have my bikes long time, until they wear out totally - around 10 years. :) Right now the current bikes are 3 (Cotic BFe), 5 (SC Nomad v3), 13 (Canyon roadbike), 21 (Univega 500S, commuter MTB) years old. The commuter bike (my first MTB) has survived everything, upgraded and still going strong.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I love my bikes. I can't think of a single one I want to replace for "the latest and greatest". BUT...I do want more of them.

Then again, I have very high end, only few year old XC bike. While not "modern", it gives up nothing to the new bikes. My enduro bike is a two year old high end model, nothing at all wrong with it. And my roadie is several years old, but also high end. Other than not being the most modern, my main bikes are all high end and don't lose anything at all to the latest offerings. And they won't give up anything for years to come, other than wear and tear.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.