Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Rock Lobster.

Paul measured me up and I placed the order at the Handmade Bike Show in March. Got it about a week and half ago (earlier than quoted).

I've got about 200 miles on the bike with half of those coming from a big ride Saturday with lots of singletrack and fireroad.

She's dirty, but you bling whores can get over it.

Monostay with canti hanger and rack mounts brazed on (Paul NeoRetros may be in the future)

Paul SS dropouts with hanger and rack eyelets brazed on:

Custom Rock Lobster Stem:

I had Paul purpose build the bike frame, fork and stem for the Midge/WTB bars. He really worked to get the right balance of fork a-c, headtube length and stem rise to make the Midge setup look as normal as possible and still work with my 81cm saddle height. Paul also did some neat geometry tweaks to make sure I had no toelap and that the bike was still quick in tight singletrack. I love long rambling rides that leave from the house on the road, hit the trail, hit some fireroad and head back home on the road and that is what this bike does best. It tracks better on tight singletrack than my KM and feels crazy stable at speed.

I was a little nervous about Paul making the stem without me playing around with various lengths and rises, but he felt like he knew the best position for me. I've ridden in the drops on rooty southern singletrack for 40 consecutive miles without a twinge of discomfort on this bike. I'd say he nailed it!

I'm happy.

LP

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
donkey said:
No doubt...Lance is hitting him from all sides.

If it was a fixie he'd be in full cardiac by now.

B
I think I have an old suspension seatpost in the parts bin I can stick on there if we really need to push him over the limit...

Bwahahahaha....

LP

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
nah...some of Cloxxki's glued on super-tires would do the trick...or maybe a hite-rite?

actually, on a bike like this one...that is a fireroad machine...having a brooks and dirt drops is fine...same with rigid...now if it were a mountian bike...that's different....:cool: :p

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Sweet bike Lance
Its like everything I ever wanted my Cross Check to be.
Geometry looks quite nice and balanced with the bars so high.
A fella could get mixed up in some mighty big adventures on a bike like that.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
indigosky said:
What's the CS length if you know?
Looooong...

I haven't measured, but we talked about 460mm when I was just going to go with vertical d/os. Since I was not using discs, I decided to go with the Paul d/os. I think Paul told me he put them at 460mm to the center of the slot.

I can measure if you need me to.

How is your project coming? I can tell you this, I've played around with the Midges/Wtbs on about 3 bikes and they really do feel a lot better on a bike designed for them.

Your gonna like it...

LP

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
that's awesome! i almost did the pauls drops with hanger route, but went EBB instead. it looks nice for sure.

when i am ready for another new bike (hopefully not for a while) i am thinking of something like that as my commuter bike - plus. it's similar in many ways (in terms of features) to my surly cross check.

cool bike!

G

·
lanpope said:
Looooong...

I haven't measured, but we talked about 460mm when I was just going to go with vertical d/os. Since I was not using discs, I decided to go with the Paul d/os. I think Paul told me he put them at 460mm to the center of the slot.

I can measure if you need me to.

How is your project coming? I can tell you this, I've played around with the Midges/Wtbs on about 3 bikes and they really do feel a lot better on a bike designed for them.

Your gonna like it...

LP
I've got the front triangle brazed up and the chainstays and dropout brazed on. I've got a date with the alignment table right now, and then the seatstays go on tonight or Thursday night. I've got the SS bent already. Looks great. 455mm to the closest point of the track dropouts, so probably about 462ish to the middle. 50mm BB drop. etc, etc. I'll get a progress pic posted soon. My fillets need practice, but they are solid, ie, looks bad, but stucturally they are fine. Practice, practice....

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Awesome build!

I'm planning to do exactly such a bike, as a crazy low budget, mostl parts bin stuff. Also a Midge bar, of course.
I'd be very interested to hear some geometry figures so I can try to get close to that by mixing frames and forks.

My bike will be made with long rides in mind, but to have the option to just show up at the club training (steep climbs everywhere) and do that as well. Finally a 1x5 setup if I get my way with it. It will never be as nice as yours, but then I'm not that nice on bikes :)

Enjoy that bike, log many miles!

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Endomaniac said:
Sweet bike Lance
Its like everything I ever wanted my Cross Check to be.
Geometry looks quite nice and balanced with the bars so high.
A fella could get mixed up in some mighty big adventures on a bike like that.
That's hilarious. My CrossCheck is what made me want this bike so badly. I just never could get quite right on the CC.

Yeah, big adventures is right. You noticed the rack mounts right? ;)

In other CC news - I got some Bonty 1.8s for my CC and they fit! Just about the same fit as the 44c Mutano Raptor but a MUCH better tire.

Here's the latest iteration of that bike:

LP

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.