Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is the situation:

Currently have a 2013 Jamis Dragon 650B hardtail. Bike has been good to me, though I need to invest some cash into replacing drive train. My crank is now bent and inoperable and I think I may have damaged the rear derailleur and the cassette might as well be replaced, too. It's currently a 3x10 set up and am thinking about taking the advice from this post and just swapping that out with Deore 5100 groupset.

Shimano M552, 42/32/24 crank set / chain rings

That's about $350, though there is like one left in America and I need to move fast.

That said, I've been meaning to get a full squish 29er and was hoping to just ride out the season with no major repairs on current bike. Which isn't happening now.

My hope has been to pick up a used one from someone who was a little overly ambitious and flush with COVID stimmy cash. I thought there would be tons of barely used bikes on the market by now. No such luck.

I've also entertained idea of buying new, but it also seems like that is going to take months to get.

Anyhow, I can go up to $3000. I've had my eye on a Scott Spark or maybe a Fezzari Cascade Peak or Polygon.

I don't want to throw good money after bad, but I am thinking maybe if I wait it out another year, supply chain issues will be resolved or more guys' wives will complain about the fancy bike they bought during COVID sitting unused and start selling them.

What do you all think? Just fix up the old lady and wait it out? Or shelve the season and pony up for a new bike? Or maybe both?

One other factor: I may be moving to Las Vegas in the next couple of months, so will be able to extend the season. Will a hardtail really suck out there?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It’s really all personal preference. I have sold a few bikes over the years but have kept more of them. I have two 26ers that ive had since the 90s, a 1979 trek touring bike handed down from my uncle, a trials bike from the 90s I acquired almost 20 years ago, a fat bike, a modern hard tail, trail bike and enduro. So yeah i would keep the Jamis!

Not sure how las vegas trails compare since i dont know where you live now, but i love going back and forth between full squish and hardtail, keeps things interesting for me.

For me, shelving the season isn’t an option, but its a fine thing to do if you dont mind some off time from the bike. So this goes back to personal preference… make a choice and enjoy it, you can’t go wrong if its what you prefer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.